1751898 Members
4743 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 800 Server, won't boot

KingJ

Proliant 800 Server, won't boot

Hi,

I've recently acquired an old Proliant 800 server. I formatted the hard drive in it and put on a fresh copy of Win 2k3. I used it for a few days, installing things etc and then shut it down for a few days. Now, when I try to turn it on, the fans and hard drive spin up and there is a brief burst of activity from the hard drive but nothing more happens. No screen output, no keyboard LEDs, no network connection at all.

There is one P3 500Mhz Processor installed in the system. Have tried it and it's VRM in both of the slots.

If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

KJ
6 REPLIES 6
wickman
Advisor

Sounds like something fried on the motherboard. I'd pull all unneeded RAM and cards and see if you can pin the issue to one of these components. I have seen an incorrect DIP switch setting cause things like this but it doesn't sound like you chnaged these since it was working....

Eric
KingJ

I pulled out all of the RAM modules except one, still wouldn't boot. For reference, what should the DIP switches on the board be set to? All of the ones for the system are set to off, and on the processor switches are all off except number 6, which is on. The panel lists switch 6 as reserved.
Ricky Rusland

Could be a bad power supply. I have a Proliant 800 with similar problems. In my case i had the power supply repaired after an second one gave up. But still this issue remains with the server booting after 5 minutes. Try another power supply.
Keep on smiling...
KingJ

The only power supplies I have spare (make that any power supply at all) are all desktop ATX ones. This works fine for all of the connections except for what I assume is the processor power, which requires an 8 pin connector, presumably since there are two processors. Since i'm only running one processor, it is safe to just plug in the 4 pin power connector into the 8 pin socket, and if so where do I plug it into the connector?

Thanks for all of your help so far :)
KingJ

Also a 14 pin connector (7x2) lableled PWE SPLY CONNS. Of course, the desktop PSUs do not appear to have anything that will connect to this, however, the server still turned on and did absolutely nothing (see original post) when removed.
KingJ

No more ideas? Just incase it is a problem with processor and VRM, i've got spares on the way (well, I did order them as a second processor but if the first one is non functional then the second one will be the only one).