1753511 Members
4810 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 800, WinXP - Keyboard/mouse stop working

Billy Patterson_1
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 800, WinXP - Keyboard/mouse stop working

I have a Proliant 800 w/ dual PIII/500. I have installed WinXP... twice. The keyboard and mouse in both cases stopped working after powering the system down overnight. Install completes successfully and this last time I rebooted several times with no problem. In both cases when I powered the system back on after being powered down overnight, it came back up with the message that the system was "unconfigured" and asked what OS was on it. I chose Win2K and the rest of POST and boot completed successfully except that neither the mouse or keyboard would work. I can now boot to the recovery console on the WinXP install CD or to a diagnostic diskette and the keyboard works works fine but when I boot to XP both the keyboard and mouse are dead...

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Billy,
For your information Windows XP is not supported on our Proliants at all. Desktop operating system is not tested so if you're looking for any solution then the best bet would be to look outside HP site. You may find some answers there.

Regards,
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Billy,

Sounds like the CMOS battery on your Proliant 800 has gone. You will need to fit an external battery to the system board so that settings can be retained.

The Compaq part number for the external replacement battery is 160274-001. It's a 4.5 Volt Alkaline battery which fits to the posts near the existing soldered battery.

This is a RAYOVAC model 845 which can be picked up at any decent electronics store if you want to buy locally. There are alternatives to this model too. You will need to move the jumper on the system board to the external position and then attach the new battery to the pins. It's keyed so you can't get it the wrong way round.

I have attached an image for clarification.

I'd start by fixing this first as I'm fairly sure all your other funny problems will go away after youu've sorted this.

I hope this helps,

Brian
Billy Patterson_1
Occasional Contributor

Brian,

Thanks for the feedback. I was afraid it might be something like this... If I may ask a follow-up question. The battery on the system board have 3V on it. I'm a bit concerned about the thought of buying a 4.5V battery to replace it. Also, I haven't found a Rayovac 845 and the HP web site says the HP part number is no longer available... Am I headed down the right track here?

Thanks,
Billy
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Billy,

Yes, even though the standard battery (soldered onto the board) is 3V, the replacement is 4.5V. This is taken care of in the Realtime circuitry on the board.

This external battery is the same replacement part for almost all generation 1 Proliant Servers so it's well known.

If you can't find a RAYOVAC 845, then the 840, 841 and 844 are replacements. Here is some further information.

Rayovac 840, Rayovac 841 and Rayovac 844, 840B, 840-B, 841B, 841-B, 844B, 844-B, 3LF22, B9780, IBM Part No. 1743456.

Doing a quick search at google.com for "Rayovac 840", there are lots available all over the place and they won't cost you a fortune.

Regards,

Brian
Todd_86

I have purchased the external battery, and moved the jumper, yet I am still having the same issue. My CMOS settings are being saved, but the keyboard and mouse do not work in the Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003 setup I have run. The DOS portions of both, and the system partiton program finds the KB and mouse fine, but any Windows-associated program gives me fits. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

- T.