108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 800 cpu upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob Rademakers_1
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 800 cpu upgrade

the processor in the proliant 800 is an pentium 2, 350 mhz.
I've 2 pentium's 3, 450 Mhz in stock. I've tried to change the p2 with the p3, but it wasn't working.
i did an bios update (P18), but since then, i can't enter the bios, by pressing f10.

maybe, if i can enter the bios, i can change the cpu settings to get the p3 450 mhz working???

i didn't made an system partition. maybe i can enter the bios with using an diksette or cd? or do I have to format an hdd, an make an system partition??

Can anyone help me??
Cheers
Rob

8 REPLIES 8
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Rob,
You can create system configuration diskettes from SP19619 from the following link:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html

Just cold boot the system with the first disk and follow the onscreen instructions.

Regards,
Rob Rademakers_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks! i'm gonna try it.

But is it possible, to change the p2 350mhz with 2 p3's 450 mhz??
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Rob,
Did you change the CPU core frequency switch positions as well (SW2). This bank of 6 dip switches is suppose to have switch Nos 1 & 3 to the ON position and rest to OFF. If those dip switches are not set properly then system wont boot.

Regards,
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Rob,
This is how the settings should look like:

Compaq ProLiant 800 Servers
Bus/Core Ratio Settings
Processor Speed
(Bus at 100 MHz)1 2 3 4 5 6
350 (2/7) ON ON OFF OFF OFF OFF
400 (2/8) ON OFF ON ON OFF OFF
450 (2/9) ON OFF ON OFF OFF OFF

You can find these settings on the server panel as well.

Regards,

Rob Rademakers_1
Occasional Advisor

I tried the switches, but it wasn't working, all that happend:
the server turned on, and the cdrom tried to read an cd (there isn''t an cd in the player) that's all!
Rob Rademakers_1
Occasional Advisor

I've read somewhere that if the letters BWS are in the s/n the server, it's inmpossible to do a cpu upgrade!
and those letters are in my s/n :(

is that true? or is there still hope to do the cpu upgrade? (to that p3 450 mhz??)
Frank Kaufman
Honored Contributor

That definitely isn't true. That three letter code (referred to as the configuration code) will tell you the system board version and certain other items that were installed in the server at time of manufacturing.

There was no model of the 1600 that could only use one particular speed processor.
Rob Rademakers_1
Occasional Advisor

okay.
that give's hope!

but its strange, that's not working. i did an bios upgrade and i changed the switches. if i put the new cpu in the server, the server don't work! it looks like, there's no processor!