HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 800 fan question

Hugo Teerds
Advisor

Proliant 800 fan question

Hello all,
I have two small questions to ask.
I have a Proliant 800 with two 500 MHz processors and a fully populated Proliant F1 disk cabinet. The system runs SBS 2000, works like clockwork and has not had any problems at all since years. Always kept all drivers and support packs up to date. I have only added sound absorbing material to dampen the noise of the fans, making sure the air flow is unobstructed and even guided better over the processors and memory then in the original lay-out, ;-).
Temperatures are reported stable around 60 C for both processors with a caution threshold of 110 C and around 30 - 36 C respectively for the system board and the IO board with thresholds of 60 and 66 C by the system management homepage.
There is however a fifth temperature sensor indicated, also for the system board, and it has always displayed N/A with a critical threshold of 68 C.

Now my two questions are:
1. Is the Proliant 800 capable of lowering the fan speed with the health driver (which is also up to date), or are they supposed to only run at one speed?
2. Is the fifth temperature sensor supposed to give a N/A message, or should it also indicate a temperature?
If the latter is true, could the missing temperature be the reason for the fans not slowing down?
You can always improve!