New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 800 second processor

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard W.
Advisor

Proliant 800 second processor

Trying to add a second processor to a proliant 800
PII 450, both CPU's work in the first slot but when I insert both the server tries the Post 3 or 4 time (the Compaq logo screens flashes and the keybd lights flash) then it will boot with one cpu. The SCU did show one time that there was a failure with a cpu did I resolve the problem, yes, I think so.?
Still only one chip will work.
Also once I get the hardware to recognizes two CPUs then should I inly need to follow solution-id 300.0.15071367.3180311 to replace the HAL for NT 4 to use both processors?
thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Proliant 800 second processor

Please make sure the BIOS is up to par. This will help with the FALSE CPU failure errors. After the BIOS has been flashed go into the F10 partition and then hit CTRL-A. It will then ask you about Advanced Mode. Hit Enter. The go to Sys Config -> Config HW -> Review and Modify and then View and Edit Deatils. Hit Page Down twice and there you will see APIC Mode. Make sure it's Full Table Mapped. Save and Exit.
To upgrade the HAL please follow below:
(If the service pack has been downloaded, use switch /x. If the service pack is on cd rom, ignore step A).

A) Go to command prompt. Run whichever service pack you are using with switch /x.
This will let you specify a folder to put the files into. The next step will ask for some files from the service pack.
1. Insert The Compaq SmartStart and Support Software cd.
2. Disk Builder will automatically start. Do not put a check in the agree box. Click OK.
3. Explore the CD. Open the Cpqsupsw folder. Then open the Ntssd folder.
4. Double click the Setup file.
5. After it starts up, click on 'Uniprocessor HAL and Kernal'. Then click on update.
6. Follow the prompts afterward.
7. An option you can do is Hal Recovery Option. This will let you chose between Single and Multiprocessor.

Please keep me posted.

Mark
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Richard W.
Advisor

Re: Proliant 800 second processor

thanks
worked great !
after the BIOS change I ran the "Compaq Hardware Abstraction Layer Utility for NT 4.0" SP17888 it update the HAL from the NT 4 CD it even new the number of processors and our current SP version (6A)
thanks again