108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 800 server reboots during Win 2000 configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeffrey Sovelove
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 800 server reboots during Win 2000 configuration

We are trying to upgrade our Proliant 800 server to Windows Server 2000. A hard drive had failed, so we replaced it and installed a second processor (PIII 550, as is the original processor). Finally got the SCSI RAID array configured correctly and installed Win 2000 Server (it was on Win NT Server). Installation proceeded normally until it began to scan for system/hardware configuration when it suddenly rebooted. It rebots every time it gets to that stage. Ideas or solutions anyone?
6 REPLIES 6
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Jeffrey,
Please make sure you have the latest system bios and the firmware of the RAID controller. Also did you run the primer Utility for W2K? If not then I would suggest you do that. I would not suggest that you install the second CPU at this point. Please do the basic installation with one CPU only. What I suspect you may have to change the APIC mode to full table mapped by going into the Advance Mode of your system configuration Utility. Which you can do by going into F10 and then System Configuration, Hold down the CTRL Key and Hit A. This enables the Advance Mode. I assume you had NT4 originally with one CPU only and you started your configuration with the second CPU without setting the APIC mode to full Table Mapped. That's why your system is rebooting. I hope this helps if not please contact our Technical Support by calling 1-800-652-6672.
Regards,
Jeffrey Sovelove
Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much for the prompt response and quick cure. I was able to boot the server, then install the second processor with no problem. Now, however, it seems to be overheating since I get the message that the system is too hot or has lost cooling and then it shuts down. Do I need to install an additional or upgraded fan kit to compensate for the extra heat load of the second processor?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Jeffrey,
I am glad it worked out for you. I have a question about your overheating issue. Is it a COMPAQ part(CPU) you have installed or a third party?? If it is a third party then I would recommend you order the cooling kit because that is required for sure.When upgrading from a 500MHz or slower processor to a 550MHz Processor, a Thermal Upgrade Kit is required, P/N: 144003-B21 before the installation of the 550MHz Processor. Also just in case you dont have the correct part no for the CPU it is 124779-B21.
Regards,
Jeffrey Sovelove
Occasional Contributor

Sunil -

It is a Compaq processor. We orered and received the thermal upgrade kit, which consists of a new fan (almost identical to the old one) and a piece of foam. However it didn't come with any instructions. Are the instructions available online? Do we replace the existing fan with the new one, or is it an additional one? If so where does it go?

Many thanks for your help.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Good Day Jeffrey,
Please replace the fan and see if that helps. I am sure you have to replace the fan with the new one you got with the upgrade kit.
Regards,
Netman_1
Advisor

I also had to figure this kit out.

You will replace the fan and use the one piece of foam with the full-size sticky tape on one side. This foam piece goes on the lid of the processor cage so when it closes the space around the processors is reduced to speed the airflow up.

Hope this helps.