1754014 Members
7617 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 800 won't post

Billy Patterson_1
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 800 won't post

I have a Proliant 800 w/ dual PIII/500 and 1GB of Kingston memory, no RAID controller. It has been on the shelf for a while. I need to get it back in production but can't get it to POST.

The FAN on the power supply and the system fan spins up. There is a green LED next to each CPU. I have re-seated everything except the power supply connection to the system board and have stripped it down to 1 DIMM and no drives.

I get no video signal and no indication of any POST activity.

Any ideas?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Have you tried to clear the nv ram and tried to boot. By putting nvram/cmos by putting switch no6 for a while.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Billy Patterson_1
Occasional Contributor

If the NV RAM switch is switch 6 on switch bank 1, no luck....

I have noticed that the CD activity light blinks several times. The last boot disk is no longer in the system. Should it still post?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Billy,
It's possible that your system did not like the Kingston Memory. I have seen this kind of behavior with third party RAM before. Just try to use the proprietory components and then give it a shot. Also reseat the obvious components and cables. If you have any third party components please remove them and try booting the server. Please let me know how you make out after bringing the server to minimum components.

Regards,
Billy Patterson_1
Occasional Contributor

Apparently if there is no bootable device, it won't POST. The system was last loaded w/ Linux and worked fine w/ the Kingston memory. After I remembered that the boot device had been "scavenged" and put a bootable CD in, it completed POST, finding all the memory and the remaining drives.

Thanks for all the help!