1753543 Members
5263 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 800

Chris Flynn_1
Frequent Advisor

Proliant 800

What is the maximum cpu upgrade i can do to a proliant 800.

If I have pentium II processors do I need new VRM to support pentium III

Is it possible to fit a redundant power supply to a proliant 800
8 REPLIES 8
Wayne Swift
Advisor

Re: Proliant 800

Chris,

you need the proliant 800 model to be sure

see http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/platforms/retired.html

for more info on Proliant 800 servers - including technical data sheets
Chris Flynn_1
Frequent Advisor

sorry forgot the model is 6/350
Wayne Swift
Advisor

2 x Pent II 450 mhz seems to be the max

Are U in the UK coz I've just see 2 x Pent II 400 for sale on ebay starting at 99p (search for Pentium II 400MHZ) - and no I'm not the seller

Wayne
Chris Flynn_1
Frequent Advisor

yes i am in the uk.

I have seen proliant 800 with pentium III 600 mhz, so can i not upgarde a pII to this level?
Wayne Swift
Advisor

can you find out the motherboard manufacturer and model - usually stamped on the the motherboard it's self - then you can definately confirm the speed and chip you can upgrade to by looking at the board spec on the board manufacturers website

Wayne
Chris Flynn_1
Frequent Advisor

the system board is made by compaq the part number is 320978-001. This is the original one that came with the unit.
Wayne Swift
Advisor

Compaq manual for the machine says maximum is a pent II @ 450 mhz on the 100mhz system board

manual is located here

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_320984-001_rev1_us/TPM_320984-001_rev1_us.pdf

Rudy_8
Honored Contributor

Chris

Discussions on the business forum pages indicate that a slot one PII may be upgraded to faster cpu using a "powerleap" adaptor.

That would undoubtedly involve faster RAM (PC133?)

You might try posting there....a new post for each question you made originally...and the hardware gurus will be on it. You might also just skim some of the postings to see if any offer clues.

You would probably have to replace your entire motherboard to upgrade CPU in a "conventional" manner. That would not be cost effective.

Incidently, the same forum guidelines as here apply on the biz forum pages also. Plesae review them so you may award points to your respondants. Minimum is one point...which is what you might classify this "informational" post.

Good luck!
I do not need to know everything. I just need to know where to go to get the information.