cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant 8000 4-700/2M processors Physical ROM error

sullijwiii
Occasional Visitor

Proliant 8000 4-700/2M processors Physical ROM error

The systems board was replaced and an error "unsupported processor" was received. We put it in another proliant 8000 that had 550M processors to update the board. Reinstalling into the original with the 700/2 processors now gives the error "Physical ROM upgrade required to support installed processor(s). The ROM date is the latest that I can find on HP site (05-05-2003). It is the same that was in the Proliant 550Mhz. The system boots up and operates fine. HP diagnostics show no problems. How do I get rid of this problem? Thanks...
4 REPLIES
Girma Kassa_2
Frequent Advisor

Re: Proliant 8000 4-700/2M processors Physical ROM error

Hello,

To correct the error follow below steps...

Boot the server
Press F9, when server boots to to enter the ROM-based configuration utility.
Select "Advanced Options".
Set CPU Corrected
Select the slot X (X is processor number from the POST error) has been corrected.
Press ESC twice, then press F10 to save

The above steps should addres your issue.

Good luck

Girma
David Bonamo_2
Occasional Contributor

Did the solution provide resolve your issue, I am having the same issue. The solution provide fixed the failed processors and the are now initialized but I am getting the warning message. I cannot find any info about ROM upgrade ect.

Thanks
David Bonamo_2
Occasional Contributor

For anyone still reading this thread, I have thought I would like to confirm.

I replaced the 550mhz CPU with 700mhz CPU's in a Proliant 8000, and when I did reboot I did get the error message about physical rom upgrade required and some of the CPU would not initialize. I did the F9 and and Advance and Set Correction.

System boots fine and working fine, however I still get the error message about the physical rom.

I am assuming since the latest rom supports the 700 processors, when boot up occurs it checks the version of the redundant protected romn and if not the latest, or the version that supports the processor, it will give the warning message about a physical upgrade is needed. My redundant rom's is dated 1999. Is this correct?

If this is correct, is there anyway of updating the protected rom without physically replacing chip?

Regards

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

David,

I think I am right in saying that when the ROM is flashed, the redundant copy is flashed first and if flashed OK it becomes the current ROM.

If you therefore flash the ROM again it will flash the old redundant ROM and you should end up with two copies the same.

I hope this makes sense. Please see attached details taken from a Compaq document.

I hope this helps.

Brian