New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 850R issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
Simon Greener
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 850R issues

Folks,

Can anyone point me to the links for bios upgrades etc for a Proliant 850R?

I use mine for database testing. It has 2 x Pentium Pro CPUs + 512M Ram, 3 x 4G Ultra Wide SCSI 2 drives. My view is that if I can get queries to run fast on the Proliant then they will run fast and scalably on far newer machines!

Anyway, three issues other than the bios question above:

1. I want to trial CentOS or one of the Linux Distros, I know there is a graphics card issue but I have a different card I can use. I currently run Windows 2000 Pro on the machine. I have set the bios boot order to CD,C,A but it will not boot from the Linux CD I have. I have checked that it is bootable by using it in another Compaq machine. So, any tips on this greatly welcome.

2. I have 2 x 2G UltraWide Scsi2 drives with cable but I don't know how to connect them up on the machine so that I have 5 drives. I think I have run out of slots on the motherboard. Any tips about how to do this greatly welcome as well.

3. The fan in the machine + drives are very noisy. Any tips on how to quieten the machine down?

Thanking you in advance.

regards
S
7 REPLIES 7
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

I'll give you're answer when you apply you points,you have to question and no points applied:

============================================
IF YOU ARE THE AUTHOR OF THE ABOVE QUESTION:
When you return to view the answer, please rate it by assigning points on a scale of 1-10. To assign points, simply login and click the dropdown points menu next to each reply. Use the following scale when rating a response:

N/A: The reply was a clarification to my original question
1-3: The answer didn't help answer my question, but thanks anyhow!
4-7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need help.
8-10: The answer has solved my problem completely! I'm a happy camper!

WHY SHOULD YOU DO THIS?
There are 3 reasons why we feel rating replies is such an important feature:

1.) Others have taken time to help you, so please give them credit for their help.
2.) Your rating will help your peers earn points toward their Forums status, and you will validate the quality of the solution you've received.
3.) Other readers will understand which answer best solved a problem, enriching the community knowledge being shared.

Simon Greener
Occasional Advisor

As I understand the points assignment you have to give me your suggestions and I then assign points to them.

I cannot find any method whereby I the total number of possible points to my question before you reply. If I am wrong, please give me the URL to where I can assign points before you answer.

I will give points for all answers provided when they work as requested.

regards
Simon
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Simon,

Never mind the points - I'm happy to help.

BIOS Upgrades and drivers for 850R running Windows 2000.....
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1130.html

or for any other O/S go to http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/ and select your server model and O/S.

1) The original CD-ROM drive on the 850R was an 8-speed drive and probably showing it's age now. If you burned the CentOS disk yourself, you may have burned it at a much higher speed. Try burning at 4X and it should be read OK. Alternatively change the original drive for a more modern desktop IDE model. Set the jumper to CS (Cable Select) not Master or Slave for a Compaq server.

2) You don't say if you are using a Smart Array raid controller for the disks or just the embedded SCSI. Since the hot-plug bay has only 3 slots and is terminated within the backplane, you can't daisy-chain more drives to it unfortunately as it only has one SCSI connector at the top.
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=167229-001

If you had a Smart Array 2DH or 2P, you could add external drives and make them part of the same array.

3) Sorry - The G1's don't have fan speed control through management agents like the G2's and above so you will have to live with it or place it in a cabinet which drowns out the racket.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Simon Greener
Occasional Advisor

Brian,

A. Thanks for the BIOS link. Excellent. So much to download!

>1) Set the jumper to CS (Cable Select) not Master or Slave for a Compaq server.

This was the trick. I had a much newer IDE CD ROM in the machine. Also, I had burned the CentOS disk at 2x and, after testing on another machine, was confident it was OK. Thanks! It is now recognising the CD and booting the CentOS CD.

> 2) You don't say if you are using a Smart Array raid controller for the disks or just the embedded SCSI. Since the hot-plug bay has only 3 slots and is terminated within the backplane, you can't daisy-chain more drives to it unfortunately as it only has one SCSI connector at the top.

I am not using the Smart Array RAID controller. I have 2 additional disks (in a caddy) + the cable (with 5 connectors on it plus the terminator). Can I simply mount them via the SCSI connector at the back of the machinem, power them up via cable from the internal power supply?

>http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=167229-001

Doesn't look familiar.

> If you had a Smart Array 2DH or 2P, you could add external drives and make them part of the same array.

If not, where can one get a cheap, second hand Smart RAID Array 2DK or 2P container or external drive container for this old a machine?

> 3) Sorry - The G1's don't have fan speed control through management agents like the G2's and above so you will have to live with it or place it in a cabinet which drowns out the racket.

Groan. I will keep working on trying to quieten it down. What I find is that the fan at the front of the machine is mainly to blame. The volume of air going through the grill is so large that it makes quite I noise. I have even tried to get a slow speed fan to replace it but no one locally has one. I keep the machine in a very open area with lots of cool air around it.

But, thanks for all your help. You have been great!

regards
S
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Simon,

That image I provided was for the 3-bay hot-plug backplane. If this isn't fitted (optional) I'm guessing that your hard drives are not hot-plug models, in which case you should be able to fit them internally/externally and have them all be seen by the port on the back of the server.

If you do want to go for a Smart Array controller, the Smart 2P should do. Here is one advertised on Ebay in Australia.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Compaq-Smart-Array-Channel-Wide-SCSI-Card-194754-001_W0QQitemZ160054119889QQihZ006QQcategoryZ11182QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I have the Maintenance and Service guide for the 850R but it's too large to attach as a reply since the forum limits attachments to 1Mb. E-mail me your e-mail address to brian.murdoch@hotmail.co.uk and I'll send it on.

Regards,

Brian

Simon Greener
Occasional Advisor

> If this isn't fitted (optional)

It is not.

> I'm guessing that your hard drives are not hot-plug models, in which case you should be able to fit them internally/externally and have them all be seen by the port on the back of the server.

Did Compaq sell an external drive-caddy (with power) for use with the external SCSI port?

> If you do want to go for a Smart Array controller, the Smart 2P should do. Here is one advertised on Ebay in Australia.

Thanks. I might just buy one. However if I do I will have to buy some drives for it. How does one know if a drive is hot-pluggable and capable of being used in just such a controller? I presume fitting the Smart 2P would mean my existing drives would have to be removed?

> I have the Maintenance and Service guide for the 850R ... . E-mail me your e-mail address to brian.murdoch@hotmail.co.uk and I'll send it on.

Done.

Thanks

Simon
Jimbo!
Occasional Advisor

I realise this is an old thread, but just in case it's still being used. I'd be tempted to ditch that drive fan altogether, it was mounted right next to a solid piece of chasis and did absolutely nothing as a result!