1748219 Members
4473 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant Buffer Overflow Problem

Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor

Re: Proliant Buffer Overflow Problem

My next suggestion would be to remove the server from AD into a workgroup environment. I would then change the name of the server and then rejoin the domain with the new name. Watch for a few days. If all works out, then you will know it is a corrupted object in the domain. I don't know what applications are running on this server, but you may have to adjust other settings as well, besides repointing the clients to the new server name. Maybe you can setup a CNAME in DNS to point clients back to the new server name.

You mentioned in a later message that a HD crashed, and crapped your AD. Was this server already a DC when you attempted to seize the role of the server with the failed HD?

What events are in the logs of the other DCs when this machine drops off the network? Is the hardware time set correctly? Is DNS configured to only send updates to certain DNS servers? If functioning as DHCP server, is it authorized in AD?

It may be easier to reload the OS and applications, join the domain, then restore application data from a backup device.
Jeremy_43
Occasional Advisor

I tried your suggestions but that didn't fix it. I reinstalled the operating system, named the computer a different name, joined the domain, installed all apps and got back to the original state but I got the errors a few days later, on vacation no less. Now, I'm on vacation and trying to diagnose this problem remotely. Can someone give me more information on a Buffer Overflow and what could cause them? I need to get this fixed and I'm worried it might be an issue with the on board NIC. Please help as I'm in desparate need. Thanks, Jeremy
Johan Johansson

Hi!

I have the same server as Jeremy, and I have the same problem. after 4-6days i got the same problem.

Starts with:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 2005-05-08
Time: 08:06:52
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: ID-NT1
Description:
Windows cannot connect to idata.se with (0x2747).

Time: 08:06:52
Description:
Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects . A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by this policy engine.

Time: 08:11:54
Description:
Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. Return value (1130).

Date: 2005-05-09
Time: 08:09:47
Description:
Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. Return value (59).