1753555 Members
5158 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant CL1850

Darin Lawless
Occasional Advisor

Proliant CL1850

I have been attempting to setup a Windows 2003 server cluster on this piece for a couple of weeks. I have one snag left... the shared storage unit. I have been paying attention to the other postings and I think the scsi device ID issue is my problem -now the complication.. I don't have the Smart Start CD with the tools to configure the scsi cards - I can't seem to find anything online - I have ordered the disk once already - and it never arrived (I was also never billed) - I hesitate to try again.
Anyone have an obvious solution I've missed?
Knowlege shared, is power squared.
17 REPLIES 17
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Darwin,
Please call 1-800-573-1099 and specify that you want SmartStart 5.50. Ask for a case no or ticket no and you should be good to go. It takes a couple of days to get the CD depending upon the stock. If you still have issues getting the Smart Start please post or drop me a line at sunil.jerath@hp.com

Regards,
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Darin,
I am sorry for writing your name as Darwin...:(

Regards,
Darin Lawless
Occasional Advisor

Actually, I found a posting from the same day I left mine, which gave me access to the configuration utilities - I have to try it of course, but thanks for the info. - I may still need it shortly.
Doug Wogan
Regular Advisor

Darin.
Exactly what is your problem?
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

Here is a good technical paper that explains the SCSI ID stuff

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/solutions/enterprise/ha/whitepapers/11YM-0200-WWEN.pdf

Thanks,
Doug

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Darin Lawless
Occasional Advisor

The issue is concurrent access to the shared array. Or should I say - lack of concurrent access. - I reconfigured the card IDs today - no change. I also have been recieving the stop 0X000000D1 codes.
Tried an update patch for one of the system files - no joy.
The frustrating thing is - this is the only issue I haven't been able to resolve.
Individually, the nodes run beautifully.
Doug Wogan
Regular Advisor

So can I assume you're trying to do an Active/Active cluster? I'm not even sure if that's possible with a CL1850. I'm running a CL1850 as an Active/Passive cluster and have no problems. Only one node has disk access at a time. When I have done Active/Active clustering fibre switches and software had to be purchased. I think the CL1850 is direct connect SCSI on the backplane. So you can only have access to the disk from one node at a time.
Darin Lawless
Occasional Advisor

No, I am attempting an active/passive config - to clarify - If my second node is even powered-on it causes the first node to crash with a scsi device, or disk access error - depending on the mood of the machine, the contents of my lunch, or which way the wind is blowing.
Node 1 is set to SCSI ID 6
Node 2 is set to SCSI ID 7
CR3500 utility finds the array from either node when operating on a single node.
Node1 is my first cluster member, but I can't get the system to stay up to join the second node - I assume the second node needs the cr3500 utility in the event of failover..... curiouser, and curiouser.
Doug Wogan
Regular Advisor

Yikes! Sounds a little beyond me. The only other thing I would try, if you haven't already, would be to update the bios and firmware of everything on your system. If node1 crashes when you turn node2 on I would guess it's not a Windows issue but a hw config issue. I do have the CR3500 Array utility on both my nodes. Also maybe disabling everything you don't need at the bios level like serial ports, paralell port, ect.. Good luck!