108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant CL380 with CR3500 controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joey Albert
Advisor

Proliant CL380 with CR3500 controller

We have Netware 5.1 SP7 (latest service pack). No one at HP/COMPAQ can tell us whether their HP/COMPAQ M/N: BD072863B2 (72.8 GB, 10,000 RPM, Wide Ultra320) drives will work with the CR3500. We currently have Six 18.2 Gig drives (1 hot spare) in a RAID 5 config.

Over the weekend, we swapped the six old drives with these 6 new ones. The new 72.8 gig drives were all operational. I then proceeded to restore from tape. 3/4 of the way through the restore, the CR3500 showed two of out the six new drives as inoperative (i.e. the RED X LEDs were lit). Naturally, our server abended. I turned the CR3500 off, then back on (after 1 minute). I noticed that one of the drives was not getting any power (no LEDs at all). All the other drives were fine. After turning the CR3500 on and off several times to no avail, I decided to plug the old drives (18.2 gig) back and all was fine (all lights/LEDs functioning properly as well as all the volumes). This looks to me like two hard drives (or at least one...but if only one failed, why did my hot spare not kick in) mechanically failed. But what are the chances of that happening out of the box?

Yes, I did prepare the drive arrays properly and they all initially showed that they were fine.

Does the CL380/CR3500 (fully patched;latest ROMPAQ BIOS) support these 72.8 gig drives?
3 REPLIES 3
Stephen Grimmer
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Yes... the quickspecs for this server say the 72.8 gb drive is supported.

Storage Diskette Drive 1.44 MB (per server)
CD-ROM 24x IDE CD-ROM Drive (per server)
Hard Drives None
Maximum Shared Internal Storage 436.8 GB (6 x 72.8 GB 1² Wide Ultra3 drives)
Maximum Non-Shared Internal Storage 291.2 GB (internal drive cage with optional 2 x 1² Ultra2/Ultra3 Drive cage, per server)

Shared Storage (total for cluster server system) Shared Storage RAID CR3500 controller, one ships standard; optionally up to two controllers in the shared storage; 18.2-GB, 36.4-GB, or 72.8-GB Pluggable Wide Ultra2/Ultra3 SCSI 1² drives; none ship standard; up to six drives in the cluster server cab
Joey Albert
Advisor

Stephen:

Can you give me a quick link on the CL380 quick specs (the source of your spec sheet)?

I am certainly glad I did not get the 146.8 Gig drives. I just could not get any answer from COMPAQ/HP.

It is just strange that when we built the array, during the restore, TWO of the six brand new drives had red x's indicating a failure and, when I turned it off (the CR3500) and back on, one drive showed a green light and the other had no power (i.e. no LEDs). Can't find anyone who has the same problem in any discussion board.

HP is sending me new drives and I am getting them today. I just hope the problem does not replicate with these new drives...

Thank you!
Stephen Grimmer
Trusted Contributor