4932 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant DL 180 - Fan speed issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Schutte

Proliant DL 180 - Fan speed issue

Recently my server's fan is started rotating at high speed (not full speed, thank god). I've read this is a known issue with this type of server. I still have to update the firmware to the most recent version. But could someone confirm me this will resolve the problem and slow down the fans to normal speed? Because it's winter and the serverroom isn't warm at all.

Thanks in advance

Tachyon
6 REPLIES 6
marcus1234
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Proliant DL 180 - Fan speed issue

have seen this issue fixed with new firmwares and drivers

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)
Tom Schutte

Thanks Mark. I updated the BIOS firmware. Problem was still there, but when rebooting I got the message saying I had to update the Lightsout BMC Firmware. After this upgrade the fan speed became normal.
Although I'm glad I resolved the problem, but I still wanna know what the cause of the problem was. Just out of curiousity.

Thanks again.
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

additionaly, the dl180 g5 has a tiny...i mean it...tiny switch close to the system battery with 4 positions, all of them must be off, if 1 and 2 are on the system board is for a ml150 g5..... (both use the same board...the tiny...very tiny swiches make the difference)

regards,
Tom Schutte

Thanks Juan for the additional comments. I think those switches wasn't the cause to my problem. The problem is already solved but I'm still curious about the cause of the fan that cycle on full power.

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

ok reason is BMC base management controller driver firmware, actually works with the ilo which is a remote monotoring tool,(port)

which controlls resources such as fans ,

now even if you do not have ilo on this server you do have the bmc chip , and the firmware version 3.11, controlls this hence it controls the fans speed and state,

hardly any part of a server has it very own bus logic , many things are shared ,and this is one of them , thats why an apparantley unrelated firmware as other consequences too,

hope this clears things up

enoy :)

points appreciated :)
jic

Same server DL 180G6 was ok. After installing the controller P212 the fans stated to rotate almost full speed. I installed the latest firmware but...it continues rotating very fast.
Any workaround to solve it?