1752307 Members
5352 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL 180G5 freezes randomly

Mali Medo
Occasional Advisor

Proliant DL 180G5 freezes randomly

I have installed and configured ProLiant DL 180G5 (470064-721) with SmartArray p400 2 x 146GB SAS drives in RAID1 and 3 SATA 750GB drives in RAID5.
Installed OS is Win2008 x64 with Exchange 2010 SP1.
Server randomly freezes and I have to cold reboot it. There is no log in Windows event log and no log in Proliant hardware log.
5 REPLIES 5
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

I would first try updating BIOS, P400 firmware and Lights Out firmware.

Contact HP Support, they should help you in running some hardware diagnosis or HPS Report.

Also consult with Microsoft for memory dump analysis.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, if you have no logs maybe it's a power issue?

Checked incoming power?

Tried running on only one PSU/incoming power source or swapping them around?
Mali Medo
Occasional Advisor

All BIOS and P400 firmware is up to date. I also updated HDD's firmware. This server has only one PSU and there is no PSU redundancy on this model. I will run HP diagnostics to check if there is faulty component in the system.
I found some reports with this model and Proliant ML150 G5 having same issue and there is workaround with changing P400 PCI-e slot, but I have only half hight bracket for SA P400.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Ah ok sorry, I assumed they all did based on the picture in the quickspecs :p

I've seen some weird issues where the power cable or the the power-on button has caused these kind of issues as well.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

How much RAM is in it? I just upgraded to 32GB from 16GB on Exchange 2007 x64. Can you hit ctrl-alt-del and get to a task manager? How large is your paging/swap file? Did you allocate enough for it. What anti-virus software are you running? Did you exclude Exchange properly on it? I have seen this cause a box to freeze during scans. Try clearing all the event logs and rebooting. See if any errors come up?