cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant DL 360 G3 RAID 1 HDD Failure

Adrienne Garland
Occasional Visitor

Proliant DL 360 G3 RAID 1 HDD Failure

I have a Proliant DL 360 G3 server configured with RAID 1. One of the hard drives has failed. I have a replacement drive that I could use from another server. What steps do I need to take to reinitialize the replacment drive as it was part of a RAID 1 drive set on a different server?

Thank you,
Adrienne
4 REPLIES
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Re: Proliant DL 360 G3 RAID 1 HDD Failure

Just replace the drive, the rebuild should start automatically. The middle light should start flashing with a regular interval. When it stops flashing the rebuild is done.
Adrienne Garland
Occasional Visitor

The replacement drive was part of another RAID set. The last time I just replaced the drive the replacment drive became the primary drive in the RAID set and over wrote the good drive and I had to rebuild the server.

The replacement drive has data on it, so should I delete the logical drive then replace the bad drive with this drive?

Adrienne
wobbe
Respected Contributor

If the server with the failed raid set is running the raid controller will start fixing the raid set as soon a you insert the replacement drive. I doesn't matter that there still data from a prefious raid set on that replacement disk.
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Adrienne,

as Wobbe explained, pls only insert the replacement disk while the server is online. Do not insert it when the server is offline/powered off, because then the controller might get confused at power up because your replacement disk is not new and comes from another array, so likely has some raid array information on it that does not match with the one you need.

HTH

Kris