1752305 Members
5283 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL 380 System Board Replacement

Kathy Saba_1
Occasional Advisor

Proliant DL 380 System Board Replacement

Hi, I need a little help with replacing a system board in a Proliant DL 380 G3 server. I have the system board in place and the server shows that it has power (power button is amber in color) but when I press the power button nothing happens. This is the second board we've replaced and they both did the same thing, no power up. If I put the original system board back in, the system powers up but the board has issues and that's why we're replacing it. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a switch that we need to flip to get this to work?

Thanks
Kathy
6 REPLIES 6
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Are you swapping the CPU's and memory from the old board? Nomally the replacement boards don't have either installed
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Kathy Saba_1
Occasional Advisor

I'm swapping out everything from the old board to the new one, processor and memory included. I don't know what it could be. I've put the old one back in and the server came up.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

There's no black magic needed for replacing parts in a proliant.

Theck the part no. Is it the same spare part no?
There's 2 System boards for the DL380.
For 2,4 and 2,8 GHz 400 MHz FSB
p/n 289554-001

and 2,8 3,06 and 3,2 GHz 533 MHz FSB.
p/n 314670-001

There's a label on the board saying replace with spare no 289554-001 or 314670-001

Remember to move all parts from the old board, also the CPU power module.
PCI box and fans must also be installed.

When you get it to work.
It'll take appr. 30 sec's fom green light on the power button untill you get video.

Remember to set:
Chassis serial no
Product no
date and time
In the "BIOS"
Before fist O/S boot

Accept or Kudo

Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Hi,

have you made sure that the PCI riser cage is fully depressed into the approriate slot?

I have had this before and it has prevented the machine from powering up.

HTH

regards

Matt
Kathy Saba_1
Occasional Advisor

Well apparently the part number that is on our system board is not the correct replacement part. I emailed HP and their response is below. I don't know if there's a way to make this part work in our server. I'm waiting on a reply from HP.

"This server supports 2.80 & 2.40 GHz / 400 MHz FSB System board, with processor cages and system battery.
The one which you have installed Spare# 314670-001 3.20, 3.06 & 2.80 GHz / 533 MHz FSB System board, with processor cages and system battery.

The difference is with FSB of the system board and as you have installed this board, it will not power on."

Thanks
Kathy
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

In you're case I would try to get the same p/n, as you remove.

Accept or Kudo