1752337 Members
5471 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant DL 380 won't booth with SCSI tape drive attached

Nate123
Visitor

Proliant DL 380 won't booth with SCSI tape drive attached

I'm just curious if I'm missing something.  I have a DL 380 G5 with an ATTO Ultra 320 2 channel HBA.  I have an MSL 6000 series libary with 2 LTO drives.  If I plug the drives/library into the server and boot, it will hang during the Windows splash screen.  In safe mode, it specifically hangs loading classpnp.sys.  I've tried simple things like replacing cables and verifying everything is terminated properly.  I have the same setup on another system a few racks over.  I've updated the drivers for the SCSI card to the same version of the system that works properly.  I've also attempted to disable SCSI Bios on the card itself, verified drive and library SCSI IDs and what not.  In the SCSI Bios, I can display devices and see my tape drives and library, but when the system boots, it pauses at the various SCSI IDs with a device attached but does not list them and says "No SCSI devices found", which I find odd.  I've used the firmware CD and PSP to refresh everything else to make sure there isn't some sort of driver conflict, and I've tried various boot controller order settings as well.  Nothing seems to fix this. 

I don't have a spare card handy, and I'm working to procure that, but I'm curious if there's something obvious that I might be missing.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

This sounds strange.

I would try to connect only parts of the library first, e.g.

Server -> Library controller -> terminator.

Then extend the bus and include the first drive.

Always put the terminator onto the drive, not on the library controller.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Nate123
Visitor

Yep, defintely strange.  I've tried just with a tape drive and terminator, but it cannot hurt to do the library first.  It's a two channel card with one channel having a tape drive and terminator and the second having the library, a drive, and then a terminator.  Just for grins, I tried it once without the terminator too (expecting it to fail a bit differently, but it failed in the exact same way). 

Nate123
Visitor

Same result with just the library.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The terminator was plugged in?

You can also test with just a drive only, but I would suspect the SCSI card.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Nate123
Visitor

I've done it with and without the terminator.  I suspect the card as well and have been attempting to get a new one (which so far looks to be harder than pulling teeth).  I just wanted to make sure there isn't something I'm missing.

Thanks.