108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant DL vs. Proliant ML series

SOLVED
Go to solution
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Proliant DL vs. Proliant ML series

I am looking for white paper described ML vs. DL series differences and guideline how
to select which series we need.
If such documents exist ?

Thanks, Igor
4 REPLIES 4
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Proliant DL vs. Proliant ML series

I don't think there is a specific technical  paper, but just looking at the ProLiant home page will give you a good idea.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/platforms/

The main difference is that the DL line is "density optimized" meaning that they are smaller, which usually means that they have less expansion - like fewer PCI slots and fewer drive bays. The DL line usually has an integratde Smart 5i/6i controller, where the ML line usually does not. But they usually support the same number and type of processors and memory.

Other than that, the differences are very small. The server numbering gives you a good comparison too. A DL380 and ML370 are basically the same, as is a DL580 and ML570. In fact, many of the spare parts are common between the two platforms.

If you are going to connect the serevr to external storage, then get the DL line because it saves srack space. If you want a lot of PCI slots or internal storage, then get the ML line.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Doug

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Thanks for your help.
We used ML series servers (Proliant 1600, ML370) for years, but DL is new for us.
So, I have two more specific questions:
- If Rack required for DL series ? Which simple and inexpensive HP rack model you can recommend?

- If SmartArray 6400 controller may be installed in DL series ?
Edmund White
Frequent Advisor

A rack isn't necessarily required, but is ideal. The smallest rack in HP's line is 14U. http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/racks/s10614/index.html

And yes, you can use a Smart Array 6400 conroller in the DL series servers.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Thanks !