1752786 Members
5833 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant DL140 -- How Loud?

Hank Ratzesberger
Occasional Contributor

Proliant DL140 -- How Loud?

I have a couple DL360's which seem quite solid, but they are VERY LOUD. We need to get another rackmount and we have quote for a DL140, but we need to put this in office space. If the 140 is as loud, no way, we will get anything else, spend hundreds more, because you just cannot work around those things.

Can anyone confirm that the 140 is quieter?
2 REPLIES 2
Adam_137
Occasional Advisor

Re: Proliant DL140 -- How Loud?

Check out this article from an earlier post

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=59952

I have a DL140 and from what I am reading here is is not as loud as the 360 although I do not have a DL360 to compare

I have a couple of DL380G3 and they are not too bad on the niose
Dejan Bogosavljevic

Re: Proliant DL140 -- How Loud?

I'm afraid no good news.
The very reason I got to read your message is that we cannot stand the noise coming from DL140. We tried BIOS updates and we tried different distributions of SUSE and RH and even for the sake of sanity check we installed Windows and all with the same result: the thingy wants to propel its way out of the rack and blow away everybody in the room...
Not kidding,...
We are considering going to ASUS since it seems that if we put 20+ of their pizza box servers in one room they will reach the noise level of one DL140.
I hope that someone from HP will stand up and defend their side by sending me bios upgrade/patch/whatever that will make any Linux control the fans speed.
Dejan
Dejan