1753534 Members
5830 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL140 drives

David in Tennessee
Frequent Advisor

Proliant DL140 drives

Maybe some of you folks on the inside at HP could shed some light on this. The new Proliant DL140 is a super deal, but what is the thinking with a pair of 80GB ATA/100 being the largest capacity available. A pair of 120GBs seems like no great leap of faith. I know that these are not intended for file servers, but it just seems like an easy addition. Can users buy larger Seagate drives on the open market and substitute?
3 REPLIES 3
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello David,
Surely you can do whatever you want with your server. But when it comes to the warranty issue that's when you will have to answer a few questions about the hardware. I am sorry don't mean to sound cold but that's what happens when the hardware is not matched properly.

Regards,
David in Tennessee
Frequent Advisor

I haven't bought a DL140, yet. I'm just making a proposal for a project. I agree with you about keeping a supported configuration and not screwing up the warranty. I was just wondering why the larger capacity drives of the same family aren't offered by HP.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello David,
The best people to talk to about this question is by calling 1-800-AT-COMPAQ. The only thing I can think of is that when the server came out that's the configuration which was offered to keep the costs very competitive. I could be wrong so for the right answer please call the above phone no.

Regards,