cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant DL180 G6: Purple disk lights

Another Paul Wootton
Occasional Visitor

Proliant DL180 G6: Purple disk lights

I'm building a server under Centos 5.3. I have 4 drives on this machine, connected to the backplane. The server BIOS is set to AHCI mode.

3 out of 4 of the drives are showing a purple status light; but the fourth isn't! (all drives are new and I'm not seeing any error messages from them).

Interestingly if I install the latest SME Server beta 4 (which is based in the same kernel); I don't get any purple status lights.

Anyone see this before, or have any ideas what I need to do to 'turn off' the purple indication?
4 REPLIES
pj_11
Super Advisor

Re: Proliant DL180 G6: Purple disk lights

Hi,

I had the same issue on a DL580 G5 new Server pressed the power on button and all disks were purple.So i just reseated the cable from the controller to the backplane that was it all sorted.As you have a DL180 G6 you will not to work out which part to reseat from the backplane to what not.

PJ
Another Paul Wootton
Occasional Visitor

I don't think it's the cabling since...

a. I don't get the purple lights with the SME Server 32bit 5.3 Centos kernel,

b. I do get the purple lights with a vanilla Centos 5.3 kernel (32 and 64 bit),

c. I saw a reply (possibly yours) to an earlier query and I've checked all the sata cables

So it looks to me like there's something in the SME Server setup that I've not got anywhere else!

pj_11
Super Advisor

Hi,

I would be very surprised if this is not a hardware issue as with my problem there was no OS loaded so to me it is a hardware issue of some sort but then i could be wrong only as i did not have any os on my one i had the same issue as you.

PJ
Creek
Frequent Advisor

This is a known issue under a number of OSes in AHCI mode. Latest updates to Red Hat and SLES fix the issue -- not sure about CentOS status. Look for an update to the AHCI driver. Also happens under Windows Server if you're using the Intel AHCI driver.