4918 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant DL180 G6 and P410 Array controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Barry Pain

Proliant DL180 G6 and P410 Array controller

I have a DL180 G6 with a 256 MB P410 Raid controller. The RAID controller is instaled and is seen and initiallised in the boot. However, if I boot from smart start and go to the Array Configuration Utility the P410 has no disks attached to it as they are still "attached" to the onboard controller. Additionally, the ACU reports that the P410 has an error as the "cache is not configured". I have upgraded the firmware on the P410 to version 2.74. Do I need to do anything in the BIOS to get the disks to "attach" to the P410? have I got a dogy P410? Should I start buying Dell servers again?

So many questions, so little time but thanks anyway ;-)
4 REPLIES 4
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant DL180 G6 and P410 Array controller

It looks like your disks are attached to the embedded B110i controller at the system board. Why do you think that you can flip the disks over to the P410 with a click of a button? You have to open the server physically and pull the data cable from the system board (B110i SATA) and attach it to the P410. These options are BTO (build to order). The P410 is an add-on option and will be wired at the factory if you chose the 8 disk option. Did you specify it as such? Maybe you did and the supplier misconfigured the disks.

You should also disable the B110i in the RBSU.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13248_div/13248_div.html

(If you think Dell has a better server, why did you buy HP?)
Barry Pain

Thanks for your answer and help. I have been inside the server and the drives (3 in a 4 bay capable server are Serial ATA drives and have connections on the system board marked P1, P2, P3, P4. The P410 only has SAS connectors ( http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13201_div/13201_div.html ). So it looks like I've been sold something I don't need can't use really by my reseller.

My quip about Dell was semi in jest, though every server I have ordered from them arrives in one box ready made, not in several boxes with a screwdriver (allen key)!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Solution

NOTE: 4 Drive Models are Non-Hot Pluggable. Smart Array Controller must be added for Hot Plug drive capability. 4 Drive Models can be upgraded with the addition of a Smart Array Controller and a SAS/SATA Multi-lane cable (496013-B21).
Barry Pain

I've asked the reseller to get me the SAS/SATA multi-lane cable and hopefully) that'll be the missing piece of the jigsaw. Thanks again Leslie and TTr.