ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752781 Members
5712 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL320 G2, problems logging into Windows Domain

John_962

Proliant DL320 G2, problems logging into Windows Domain

Happens every time I attempt login after boot. Event log will record an error of unable to locate domain controller, or, not able to process group policy. If I wait for several hours, it will generally let me login w/o any errors. I am puzzled why this can be. Carepaq support has already had me reinstall Windows Server 2003, and apply all latest patches.
3 REPLIES 3
Ingo Duschl
Frequent Advisor

hi john, check your network settings, WINS DNS ans so on.perhaps reinsert the machine to the domain.
John_962

Ingo,

Thanks for pointing out these areas. Unfortunately, I have the DNS, WINS, and other network properties are all fine, and, other servers/workstations can join the domain, just fine. Only this one server has the issue. I have also tried reformatting/reinstalling Windows Server 2003, no better results.

John
Daniel Galvan

John,

This type of behavior usually indicates a network issue. You can try this to see if it is. If you can log on locally to the server in question by logging in as local admin send some pings around to see what you can see. Open up 2 instances of a cmd prompt and ping 2 things, your DC by name and your DC by IP address (I assume you are using TCP/IP). This will tell you 2 things, 1 that your network is working and 2 that your DNS resolution for the server is working. Obviously from the results you will be able to narrow down the problem. If they both work and you are running WINS, try setting up an LMhost file on your server and point it to your DC.

If you can't get into the server then you can try a reverse of what I just mentioned, pinging from your DC to the server in question.

At least you can rule out netowrk if everything is in working order and run down a different path. Chances are though that one of these will prove successful.

If it is a network issue you have a whole other can of works to deal with, but I would first try a different network port on your hub / switch. if that doens't cure it you have to start looking at arp tables and MAC address tables etc. Nightmares galore.

Good luck!