Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant DL320- adding a pci card.

Bill McLean_1
Occasional Visitor

Proliant DL320- adding a pci card.

Hi,
We have a pair of 320's. Have win2003 server loaded.
Need to add a PCI add-on parallel card to each,in the available PCI slot. Need to hang legacy dongles on them.
Installed comp usa off the shelf 32 bit pci PNP cards. No straps etc, just a dsp.
Server won't power up. removing card lets the server boot.
Found no Bios settings for PNP...
Whats the trick? Do I need a strappable card and define my own IRQ?

Please advise.
Thanks Bill
5 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Proliant DL320- adding a pci card.

Hello Bill,
I would think if you used a strappable card and defined your own IRQ that might work I don't dell with this all the time so it is just a person opion and not a professional one.
I have just started to use win 2003 server so I am not to use to this operating system yet .

sorry I can't help more.
Adrian Fleisch
Occasional Visitor

Hey Bill

I have the same problem. I have a 2 Serial RS-232 PCI card. After installing, the server won't boot. Removing the card and the server boot. Great. Do you have any solution?

thanks
adrian
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Exactly what model DL320 are you trying to install into ?

What you'll probably find, is that you're trying to install a 5 volt PCI card into a 3.3 volt slot.

A few years back, we had to swap out 8 DL360G1's for DL380G1's which have onboard parallel ports, in order to install dongles, because we couldn't find anybody who manufactured a compatible parallel card to install...

Cheers,
Rob
Adrian Fleisch
Occasional Visitor

hey Rob

We have a DL320 P4/3.0 GHz G2, with Firmware 4.09 D13-06/23/2004. And the card is a exsys EX-41092 (http://www.exsys.ch/english/ex_41092/ex_41092.html) It's a card with 3.3 or 5 voltage.
The card works fine when i try it on a compaq pc.
I have no idee what I can do, that the card works. Because I have to work in this server... :-(

regard adrian
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Looking at the specs. you've supplied I agree it should work.
From what I recall of serial ports though, I thought that they had 5v signal lines - I think parallel ports are the same.

To make it work on a 3.3v bus they probably use some inverters to step up the voltage, which tend to draw quite a bit of current.

This high current draw from the PCI bus may be what's causing the machine not to boot.

Please note though, that I am just guessing here...

Cheers,
Rob