1753479 Members
4926 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL360 G3 Fans

Mark Chaganis
Occasional Contributor

Proliant DL360 G3 Fans

I have two identical configuration Prolinat DL360 G3 servers in one of our racks. I have had some complaints about the noise the cooling fans are making in one of these servers. On inspecting these server it does sound as if the cooling fans in one of them are working harder.
My question is, does the speed of these fans in these servers increase depending on the internal temperature of the system, or do they just spin at one speed?
4 REPLIES 4
Colleen Whaley
Advisor

Try this: Check Insight Manager to display current server conditions as well as the threshold for each component being monitored, it will issue alerts when any component in the system is not performing optimally. For your louder one try install the latest System Management Driver (Health Driver). Also update the System ROM with the "Single Point Solution Systems ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade Diskette for ProLiant DL360 G3 Servers" dated March 19, 2003 (03/19/03), available as SoftPaq SP23886. When the update is complete, power off the server and ensure that the SW2 System Maintenance Switch S3 is set to the "OFF" position. Restart the server. Once the operating system and the System Management Driver (Health Driver) have loaded, the speed of the fans will be reduced and monitored properly, being adjusted as needed based on the temperature sensors inside the server.
Christopher Thorjussen
Occasional Advisor

How does this work with a new BIOS from 07/25/2003? I have one of these "bad" DL360... When I installed the BIOS update the fans slowed down somewhat, and pushing S3 to OFF made them spin just as loud as before the BIOS upgrade. Would installation of the healt driver fix this again, or should I just set S3 to ON again? to get less fan noise (and reduced fan speed)?
Raymon_1
Frequent Advisor

Same problem here. 1 of the 2 servers is shutting down due to power failure after 10 minutes. it is the 7th server in the rack. Al others nog problem only noisy.

What can we do ?
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Raymon:

Your problem is actually different. Please click on NEW MESSAGE and start a new message 'thread'.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger