ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant DL360 G3 orange power light on, how to determine which power supply to swap out??

Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Proliant DL360 G3 orange power light on, how to determine which power supply to swap out??

Our ca. 2004 Proliant DL360 G3 recently started showing orange on its power light.

How can I determine which power supply to swap out??
We have two more similar servers from which I can take power supplies.

SMH shows notthing and no errors etc. on its Power page, would BIOS review show anything??
Otherwise, I just try each one and see what happens.

Thank you, Tom

6 REPLIES
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant DL360 G3 orange power light on, how to determine which power supply to swap out??

what about on the back of the server? Is there no led on the PSU?

Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Re: Proliant DL360 G3 orange power light on, how to determine which power supply to swap out??

At the back both PSUs' green lights are steady green, that's what makes this puzzling.

Maybe that makes it okay the orange light is on?? (It's been rebooted today btw)

This is an important old server so I must be as proactive as I can.

Thank you, Tom

retupmoc
Visitor

try to check it in iml logs....or try to reset the psu one by one since it is hot plug..no downtime needed for your server....since you have a similar server try to isolate one by one the psu.....;

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Are you sure its the 'External Fault' LED not the 'Internal Fault' LED?

ie. The one with the squiggly line NOT inside a box?

Strange how both PSU LEDs are still green...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Thank you for pointing out the difference...

The orange light is on the squiggly line IN the box...aka 'Internal Fault'??

How would I fix this?? It's out of warranty and no Care Pack.

I could P2V it if I must...

Thank you, Tom

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Ahh, ok if you're lucky, you should see a corresponding fault LED on the system board around the component with a problem.
Although this didnt always work on the G3's, its much better on the later generations!

If not, then it'll be the old adage of getting the server down to minimum components to run, then adding in components one at a time till you can recreate the fault.

This should hopefully point you to a dodgy DIMM or CPU or something that you could swap out.

As the server is not in warranty / carepack anymore you'll be liable to replace any failed components at your own cost...

And yes, squiggly line INSIDE box means Internal Fault, squiggly line NOT inside a box means External Fault, but all this points to is PSUs in this case...

Cheers,

Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)