1753808 Members
7746 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Proliant DL360 G5 - BSOD with PCIe eSATA card installed

StutechSFA
Occasional Visitor

Proliant DL360 G5 - BSOD with PCIe eSATA card installed

I have a proliant DL360 G5, its being used for Symantec Backup Exec for our main servers. We were using an external hard drive linked with USB to store full backups on, this took forever, so I purchased a Rosewill RC-225 PCIe eSATA card to speed up data transfer speeds.

However, whenever this card is installed even in both slots, I get a BSOD when booting to windows 2008. I removed the card and installed drivers, then re-installed card and still having the same issue.

Is this a BIOS or firmware issue? Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
RbBsmn
Regular Advisor

Re: Proliant DL360 G5 - BSOD with PCIe eSATA card installed

I'm sure that card is not supported in any HP server, guess that's the issue.
Also not sure if it's even meant to work with a server OS.
Did my post help? Thank me with kudo's! :)
StutechSFA
Occasional Visitor

Card's documentation shows that it supports windows 2008. Works fine in Proliant DL380 server with windows 2008, just not this one.

I've looked around in the BIOS, nothing jumps out at me. I can see this card in the BIOS, listed as "Other Mass Storage Controller"

It's just this DL360 G5 thats not wanting to work with my card.

RbBsmn
Regular Advisor

As said there are no supported eSATA cards for ProLiant servers: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Compatible-DL380-G8-eSATA-III-card/td-p/6205749

If it works in some servers or even works in this server for a while it doesn't mean anything.

If you want a simple USB back-up for your server you might want to look at DAT USB tape drives.
Did my post help? Thank me with kudo's! :)