Cache Board Present: True

Cache Status: Temporarily Disabled

Accelerator Ratio: 50% Read / 50% Write

Drive Write Cache: Disabled

Total Cache Size: 512 MB

No-Battery Write Cache: Disabled

Cache Backup Power Source: Batteries

Battery/Capacitor Count: 1

Battery/Capacitor Status: Failed (Replace Batteries)

SATA NCQ Supported: True

How do I identify the replacement battery and where can I get it ?
4 REPLIES 4
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Re: Proliant DL360 G6 Accelerator Board Battery Failed

That's the battery for the array cache module. On the DL360 G6 it's located inside near the front of the server where the drive cage is. Follow the thin cable from the array controller and it's easy to find and remove.

It has a spare part # on it to help you get the right part.

You'll want to turn the server off to replace it, but leave the bad one installed until you have the new one ready to hook up. If there's no battery module installed at all, even with a bad battery, it doesn't like that.

Once you install the replacement, it will wait until the new batteries reach full charge before re-enabling the write cache and the other advanced features, so be patient.

Replacements should be easy to find. Amazon even has them. On my old servers where we're not that interested in throwing more money at them, I built my own battery pack using a little 4-battery holder I got at Radio Shack with 4 AAA NiCad batteries, and soldered that to where the old batteries would connect to the little module board. The whole thing fits nicely into where the old module used to go and now I have batteries I can replace if needed without getting a whole new (expensive) HP module.
tarek_touati
Regular Visitor

Many thanks for your help, I really appreciate, and I like the idea of the 4 AAA batteries, unfortunately for me it won't be accpeted I'm sure of this.
I have one more question, is there any other way to get the part number without having to shutdown the server ? from ILO for example is it possible ?
waaronb
Respected Contributor
Solution

I was going to lookup the actual part # from the quickspecs page, but I'm getting errors on the HP site for those right now.

But the HP store has it here:
http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/2959318

You can probably get a better price for it from a reseller or they even have them on Amazon and eBay... look for part 383280-B21. Just make sure you look at the date code on the battery and that you're getting a NEW one. Not a module that's been sitting on a shelf for years (or a used module).

Here's the battery holder I used.. 2 bucks plus batteries, and soldered the leads to the pos/neg points on the old battery module circuit board.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062254

(EDIT: I had mentioned NiCad batteries in my post, but they should be NiMH)

I got the idea from someone's blog post and it works well. I only did this on some dev servers that were well out of warranty. :)

tarek_touati
Regular Visitor

Thanks again for your answsers, you have been very helpful, I can't thanks you enough
Have a nice day