1753867 Members
7473 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL360 G6 Hard Drive help!!

MKdigIT
Occasional Visitor

Proliant DL360 G6 Hard Drive help!!

I am hoping someone can help me. I have a Proliant DL360 G6. I very much need new drives for it. Our IT guy where I work has assured me that any sata 2.5 drives will "work" in it. However what I discovered is that if I use NON HP ENT drives, my server pushes the fans into turbo mode. They run constantly, on the highest setting. This is VERY loud.

Can anyone tell me, must I use HP Drives? Or can I use other drives. If so, how do i bypass the issue with the fans? Any help someone could give me ASAP would be very much appreciated!!

3 REPLIES 3
Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

More than likely your drives are not reporting temperature information to the system, so the fans default to the highest speed. I recommend staying with HP branded drives that are supported by that particular system (check the Quick Specs or drive matrix). There may be an option to disable the temp sensors in the BIOS but that is highly unrecommended and defeats the purpose of having an enterprise server.

MKdigIT
Occasional Visitor

Edwin Eppel:   Thank you for your reply. Yes, this is what is happening. The bios is not reporting temp info so therefor the fans are going highest speed possible.  I love the server the the HP branded drives are just so stinking expensive!!  I have looked at the Quick Specs for the DL360 but not the Drive Matrix. Where would I find the Drive Matrix for that server?

Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor