New Discussion

Re: Proliant DL360 G7 with Quadro 4000 overheating issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
adam6
Occasional Visitor

Proliant DL360 G7 with Quadro 4000 overheating issues

Hey,

I picked up one of these proliant blade servers. I wanted to try out a quadro 4000 card on it. It's working fine but it seems to be overheating.

[ 3216.269886] nouveau 0000:09:00.0: therm: temperature (90 C) hit the 'fanboost' threshold

I went to check up on the server and  the area where the card is is hot to touch. Could this be an issue with airflow within the server or is my graphics card damaged? Is it normal for it to run so hot? I only got shell running on the frame buffer so it's not even heavily utilized.

3 REPLIES 3
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor
Solution

A DL360 G7 is not really made to house a large graphics card like the Quadro 4000. One reason is because the server is only 1 unit high and therefore has not much room for cool air to get to your card. Then the card is in the airstream of the CPU's which heat up the air pretty well.

One thing you could try is to change the power and fan options in the BIOS (of the server) to "high performance" or "full power" .... I don't remember exactly how it was named on the G7.
This will increase fan speed and lower all temperatures including your card.

Have you also tested if the fan of the Quadro is running correctly? Is the heat sink clean? (dust)

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
adam6
Occasional Visitor

@PDP-Fan wrote:

A DL360 G7 is not really made to house a large graphics card like the Quadro 4000. One reason is because the server is only 1 unit high and therefore has not much room for cool air to get to your card. Then the card is in the airstream of the CPU's which heat up the air pretty well.

One thing you could try is to change the power and fan options in the BIOS (of the server) to "high performance" or "full power" .... I don't remember exactly how it was named on the G7.
This will increase fan speed and lower all temperatures including your card.

Have you also tested if the fan of the Quadro is running correctly? Is the heat sink clean? (dust)

That was my first thought. The card sits right on top of the motherboard and there's not much space for it to suck in the air from underneath and then just a small hole to blow it through the fan to outside of the chassis.

You might have a point about the heatsink though. The fan looks like it's running but I'm thinking maybe the thermal paste is old. Once it warmed up and was running for a while the temperature dropped to 84 degrees. I will take the graphics card apart and reapply new thermal paste to see if it helps.

Yeah I think this is the case. I started reading up on it and other people run into it as well.

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/quadro-4000-overheating-and-cooling/39663/3

Edit: I replaced the thermal paste and it got around 10 degrees cooler. I think I'm gonna either put this card to the side or sell it. Will try out K4200 next to see if it will work. Supposedly it's got a lower TDP and better specs

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I would request you to update the server with the latest bios and firmware, if the server is running older bios and firmware versions.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo