1752705 Members
6120 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL360 Series ES1013

Krysune
Advisor

Proliant DL360 Series ES1013

I have some questions, how would I go about installing an operating system. I have a SCSI HD 18.2GB 15K installed on it already. I placed a Windows NT 4.0 CD inside it gives me the error (NON DISK OR DISK ERROR) when I placed a windows 95 FLOPPY it read it just fine. I'm currently downloading Windows 2003 R2, will that work on this server? I just need answers to why the CD wasn't working, how do I access the BIOS. I don't really understand. Sorry for all this, pretty dumb on this type of stuff.

Thanks for the help, if any is given!
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not.
18 REPLIES 18
Krysune
Advisor

Anyone?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not.
Andrew Gladstone
Valued Contributor

The system is a Pentium 3 based chipset, and it should work without an issue. See the Microsoft support document here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822129
Good Luck.
Krysune
Advisor

Still need to figure out why it wont boot off the CD, for I can install an OS.
TTr
Honored Contributor

It boots from the floppy but does not boot from the CD? Two things to check.
1. Does it even try to boot from the CD drive? You need to set the CD drive as the boot device in the BIOS or include the CD drive in the boot devices list and change the order.
2. Bad CD drive or bad CD media. Have you tried this CD on another system or tried a different CD media?
Krysune
Advisor

How can I access the BIOS on this server? The HD was wiped, it only boots from the FLOPPY like I stated, when I place a CD you hear it spinning but it doesn't do anything. The CD is fine, worked in all other computers.
TTr
Honored Contributor

Most likely the server tries to boot from the CD. Is the CD a bootable CD or a regular data CD? Maybe you have a bad cd drive.

Have you booted from it on another server or PC.

Do you see something like "press F10 to enter setup"? Try pressing F10 during boot up. If nothing happens, most likely the BIOS partition on the hard disk is erased. Do you have a smartstart CD? Download a smartstart CD from HP.
Krysune
Advisor

Will the smartstart CD work? Because the CD I have is 110% fine.
TTr
Honored Contributor

On these older servers, the BIOS sits on a small partition on the hard disk.
Try hitting F10 during POST. If nothing happens, the BIOS partition was probably blown away during the windows NT installation.

In this case you definitely need a smartstart CD.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=624510

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=enter+BIOS+proliant+server
Krysune
Advisor

Well, I have the Smartstart CD right? It wont boot from the CD, but it boots from a floppy?...