4673 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Proliant DL360 gen8 accepts no keyboard input

eskimoroll
Occasional Advisor

Proliant DL360 gen8 accepts no keyboard input

Hello,

One of our servers ran into trouble recently, it started freezing during reboot.

Now, the server recognizes no input from the USB ports, I cannot use a keyboard. Things I tried:

1) All USB ports, looking for the numlock light on the keyboard.

2) Resetting the BIOS via switch 6. I rebooted with the switch toggled, got the message then changed it back.

3) I've tried using the Remote Console through ILO 4 (updated to 2.03).

4) I've tried using the standalone remote console.

...whatever I try, it accepts no keystrokes (F9, F10, F11 etc)..not even through the Remote console(s).

I suspect USB may have been turned off in the BIOS...but I cannot access the BIOS without pressing F9.

Can someone please give me some advice on how to debug this?

Thanks in advance

22 REPLIES 22
hpkasabbagh
Frequent Advisor

Re: Proliant DL380 gen8 accepts no keyboard input

Hello,

DL380e Gen8 Server or DL380p Gen8 Server? OS?

Sincerly,

eskimoroll
Occasional Advisor

Re: Proliant DL360 gen8 accepts no keyboard input

It is the DL380 (no P) gen8.

The OS is CentOS 6.6.

The other limitation I have is that there is no CDRom.

Here is a screenie of where it hangs.

Thanks for the quick reply!

hpkasabbagh
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

Sever S/N?

Sincerly,

hpkasabbagh
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

Did you try to use virtual keyboard on ILO (licence required)?

Sincerly,

hpkasabbagh
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

Try to reinstall the RBSU firmware.

Download link: 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_d0e3e008c87848329274eee338

Installation instructions:

To update firmware from Linux operating system on target server:

1.     Login as root. (You must be root in order to apply the ROM update.)
2.     Place the Smart Component in a temporary directory.
3.     From the same directory, run the Smart Component.
          For example: ./CPXXXXXX.scexe
4.     Follow the directions displayed by the Smart Component to complete the firmware update.
5.     Reboot your system if you would like the update to take effect immediately.

Sincerly,

eskimoroll
Occasional Advisor

Hello again and thank you for the follow up responses.

SN: Confidential info erased

I tried the virtual keyboards from both the Remote Console through ILO and the remote console executed from windows. In both cases it seems the keystrokes are not sent. During the POST I tried several keyboard options and none worked.

I do not have any kind of license beyond whatever I received upon purchase of the server, about 18 months ago.

The download link seems to require a license...I do not work for a large business or a corporation, I'm just an independant admin that offers IT services to small clients. I bought only two HP servers, do I need a large support/corporate agreement in order to update the firmware?  (good grief!)

I do have my receipts/invoices, however.

EDIT: When you say login as root etc...do you mean on the server itself? ..because I cannot get it to boot, I cannot log in. It freezes at the point I showed you in the screenie.

EDIT 2: I do not need the data on the server, I do not mind flushing it - it was my intention to install CentOS 7 and XenServer.

Thanks again.

hpkasabbagh
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

This is your server description: HP PROLIANT DL360E GEN8 E5-2403 1P 8GB-R HOT PLUG 8 SFF 2X460W PS SERVER/S-BUY

The above procedure explain the online installation of RBSU.

Dowload the SPP and boot it in first time to update the server (Bootable key USB). Try if you can use your keyboard.

You need to attach your server warranty with S/N Server to be allowed to dowload the last version of SPP. And an actives warranties is required.

It's Ok for CentOS 7 but only Xenserver 6.2 version is recommanded by HP.

Sincerly,

eskimoroll
Occasional Advisor

"Dowload the SPP and boot it in first time to update the server (Bootable key USB). Try if you can use your keyboard."

- this is my original problem, all 6 USB ports do not work - when I plug the Keyboard in, I cannot get the NumLock light to function, on any of them. I have also tried to boot with an existing USB (Linux boot usb, works on other servers)...but it is ignored.

I believe the USB may be turned off in the BIOS...hehe, but I cannot get to it without pressing F9...which I cannot do without a USB keyboard or with the virtual keyboard through ILO...

I thought by switching ON/OFF switch 6, it would clear everything...but my raid config seems to be still valid (I see this during POST).

Is there a way I can reset the whole machine to factory defaults?

Yes, you are right about the server model, I changed the subject heading.

hpkasabbagh
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

You can reset your server with Intelligent provisioning but you don't have acces (F10).

Try with an external DVD drive to update with SPP.

Look this discussion for same issue:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/DL160-G6-How-to-enable-USB-remotely/m-p/6371451/highlight/true#M140830

[Moderator edit: Removed the broken link. Please refer to https://support.hpe.com/]