4244 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion

Proliant DL360 gen9 Post code 711 stale during BIOS

Leonardo-N
Occasional Contributor

Re: Proliant DL360 gen9 Post code 711 stale during BIOS

I've same trouble.
If i suppose that disks are ok can change smart array controller and hope to recover all data in raid structure?
Andrzej_Ang
Occasional Advisor

I've been struggling with this problem for days - ripped off everything I could from the server (no RAID, no PCI cards, only 1 memory module), tried to do "Reset" and "Cold boot" as it was described earlier - nothing helped.

Changing SW2 switch positions 6 to ON (clear nvram),  7 (legacy boot) to ON - no change.

Came up with the idea that maybe there is a keystroke that can cancel this "Please wait", so I started to press F9 many times even before it appeared on the screen - believe it or not, but the screen passed this horrible message, I loaded ISO image with Service Pack for ProLiant, downgraded NIC firmware from 20.25.42 to 20.22.41, and since then the problem have not happened again! Did many restarts, power offs, cold boots - sever works!

So try the F9 trick, good luck!

Andrzej

Logis
Occasional Collector

@Andrzej_Ang Hi Andrzej,

Did you spam F9 via ILO console or did you plugin a physical keyboard in the server?

Im having the same problem after updating the 331i NIC to 20.25.42.

Andrzej_Ang
Occasional Advisor

Hi @Logis 

It was physical USB keyboard and I was hitting F9 like crazy - long before the screen with F9, F10, F11, F12 came out.

It was "one time only luck" - it worked, but I was to afraid to repeat this to make sure if this is replicable - I spend whole week for tying to get out from this difficult situation.

I might hit Esc as well, if pressing F9 doesnt work for you try with Esc and F9,, let us know if it works for you. Remember that I removed PA440ar raid controller, all memory DIMMS (except 1), and Riser card with additional NICs, had nothing in FleX-LOM slot. Also before this attempt I did the SW2 switch reset (position 6 DIP switch ON, and position 7 DIP switch ON for legacy boot), removed CMOS battery, as well did a copuple restarts after that to get rid of all additional messages about system resetting to default values etc.

Good luck and post your results, best regards,

Andrzej

Logis
Occasional Collector

Hi, @Andrzej_Ang

Thank you,

Ill have physical access to the server again next week. ill post my results.

pad1
Occasional Visitor

hey , same problem here . removed raid controller ... still stucked

my nic 331i firware version is 20.25.42.

got it running again by:

ILO => setting power management to full power ( in early boot screen ) , spam it multible times. => verify that secound boot screen shows full power mode

no drives in bay ( dont now if this was relevant or not )

get pass POST

use a usb stick with fedora 39 live cd and UPDATED the NIC firmware https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?collectionId=MTX-bf3a285848ac4632

its version 21.6.0 now , bios is 3.30

Andrzej_Ang
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I have seen this info about setting to "Full Power" (mine was: Balanced Power and Performance), but there was no way I could change it via iLO - all the time I was getting message something like "server is in POST stage".

I'm glad it worked for you, 

Andrzej

Logis
Occasional Collector

After 4 days of trying Ive had 0 success with getting the server to POST again.

I found that you can buy the motherboard for ~€120. Might give that a shot i guess..