1748084 Members
5232 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL360

dcase

Proliant DL360

I have a DL360 with dual 36GB drives and have purchased 2 146GB drives from HP. I need to know the easiest way to transfer the data from the existing mirrored drives to the new drives.
Thanks,
DCase
5 REPLIES 5
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

If it under raid 1 then

replace one hdd with new higher capacity hdd let it rebuild. when done replace other low capacity disk with new disk (higher capacity)

This will do
Online but performace will be degraded

Prashant S
Nothing is impossible
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

You can use two methods:

1) Do server backup (with your backup software or with GHOST software).
Replace disks and do server restore.

2) Replace first disk with a bigger one and wait for the rebuild to complete. Repeat that for the second disk.
At the end of the rebuild you will have free space at the end of the disk array.
Now you can use diskpart utility to extend data volume
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325590
Note: Most likely you will not be able to use diskpart if you have only one logical disk (C:\) (usualy diskpart cannot extend system volume).
Only option in this case is to create new logical drive on unused space (you can do it in Array configuration utility) or use some 3-th party software for partition resizing (Partition magic for example)
Before you start:
-Update your server using Firmware Maintenance CD
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23331.html
-Make sure you have good backup

See also ACU user guide:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00294139/c00294139.pdf
dcase

Thank you both for the replies. I was hoping the raid would rebuild itself on the larger drive. Thanks for the additional info on resizing. I only have one partition so I'll have to deal with that when the time comes.

Is this an automatic process or will it notify me of the hdd change upon rebooting and promt me from there? I just want to be prepared for everything. Does it matter which drive I swap first?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the newbie type questions,
dcase
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Dcase,
because you have only C:\ partition (and if you don't have tools like Partition magic) I think easiest way will be
full backup/replace drives/restore.
In such way you can always come back to old configuration (old drives) if something going bad.
But if you choose to use "replace one by one" method:
-no matter which drive you replace first, I usually replace first drive, but you can do it in different way :-)
-You can check rebuild progress with Array configuration utility (ACU). You will have message about rebuild completed in event viewer as well.
Regards, Igor
dcase

Thanks again for the advice. Unfortunately, our backup solution is off-site and might be forever over the WAN for a full restore. I may be wrong but wouldn't I need "Volume Manager" because "partition magic" doesn't work on Servers, I thought.
Thanks,
Dale