ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752579 Members
4238 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant DL360p Gen8 becomes unreachable. Getting Event ID 16002 prior to crash.

TommyL
Occasional Contributor

Proliant DL360p Gen8 becomes unreachable. Getting Event ID 16002 prior to crash.

Hello all!

I have a recurring issue with a Domain Controller that has been a PITA for some time now. The DC is a Server 2012 R2 Standard on an HP ProLiant DL360p Gen 8 hardware platform. 

The system will randomly become unreachable by other systems and our Active Directory will begin sending out alarms that Replication has been interrupted and our NOC will get a notification that the system has gone down.  When we logon to the DC through the Out-of-bounds network, we can see that the OS is still up, but there is nothing being sent or received through the NIC.

In checking the System Event Logs just prior to rebooting (when the system becomes unreachable), we see about 330 Warning Events with Event ID 16002, Source: AFD

"Closing a UDP socket with local port number [55048-54920] in process 1044 is taking longer than expected. The local port number may not be available until the close operation is completed. This happens typically due to misbehaving network drivers. Ensure latest updates are installed for Windows and any third-party networking software including NIC drivers, firewalls, or other security products." 

The port range listed in the Event Description isn't even a range that we use.  I have a NetStat monitor running and none of those ports show up in the monitor logs before, during or after the event.

Further, I have run DCDIAG and BPA on the system.  DCDIAG yielded nothing useful (all Tests passed) nor did BPA (Nothing unusual or that is not on another system that isn't affected by this issue).

The NIC drivers were originally Microsoft and we installed HP drivers on the NIC to see if that would help.  It hasn't.

Also, since I don't know the cause of the issue, I cannot manually recreate the error but simply have to wait until it happens again.

Has anyone else seen this issue and if so, how did you remediate it?

11 REPLIES 11
AlecKeeler
Advisor

Re: Proliant DL360p Gen8 becomes unreachable. Getting Event ID 16002 prior to crash.

Have you tried updating the firmware drivers using the HP SPP (ServicePack for Proliant) DVD,

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/index.aspx

you can reboot the server from the DVD and it will check using SUM to see if any of the firmware on the various devices have outstanding updates.

Just be aware that you should have access to the console when using the HP SPP DVD to boot as it pops up a menu  that asks if you want to do an automated or interactive update and if you don't choose interactive within 30s it proceeds to update everything it can automatically

Alec

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

First of all I would check if the BIOS is up to date.

Fix in 2015.07.01:

Problems Fixed:

Addressed an issue where a device interrupt may not be handled properly and result in a lost interrupt or an uncorrectable machine check exception. This issue is NOT unique to HP servers. HP recommends that users experiencing these issues update to this revision of the System ROM before replacing any hardware components.

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5194968&swItemId=MTX_4a66f6bc8f0948368f65aa1dfd&swEnvOid=4103#tab4

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
AlecKeeler
Advisor

The HP SPP DVD will also update the BIOS to latest as well, if run in interactive mode you can see what it intends to update and you can choose what you want to let it do or not

Alec

TommyL
Occasional Contributor

I updated the BIOS to the latest version (July 2015) this past Friday.  No dice.  I had another event yesterday with the same issues and same symptoms.

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Did you ever get this resolved?  I am having the same problem on GEN8 servers (DL380p).  The event is AFD 16002 and we see 10's of them in the system log of the server (Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard) when the problem happens.  The only solution is to reboot that we have found.

I am hoping to find a permanent solution (firmware, driver, etc), but if no permanent solution is available, I am hoping for a short term fix that does not require a reboot (for example is there a service that can be restarted or disabling/re-enabling a driver).

Thanks

NK

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Anything listed in the iLO or IML logs?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

No, I am not seeing anything at the hardware level in terms of logs or alerts.  The only thing I see is that the server is up and running but stops communicating on the network - I use the iLO to get to it and reboot.  Once rebooted, I see AFD 16002 errors in the Windows logs during the time of the outage.

I reviewed the revision list for firmware and drivers for this model, and I don't see anything that resembles a fix for the symptoms I am seeing.  These servers are NOT up to the latest firmware/drivers - but they are pretty critical so I dont want to schedule an outage to update them if I dont know for sure a specific driver/firmware will fix the issue.

I am having our networking team review the speed/duplex on the switch ports to see if maybe there is a mismatch there.  The servers are set to AUTO...does anyone have a recommendation on this?  Is AUTO good (assuming switch is at AUTO) or should I be hard-coding GIG FULL at both ends?

Thanks

NK

LaurenceBarker
Frequent Visitor

Hi, did you ever find a fix for this? I'm seeing the same issues on HP DL380 Gen10 servers running Windows Server 2016, 2018-11 Cumulative Update and HP Service Pack for ProLiant v2018-11. I had hoped installing latest updates would replace a faulty driver, but it seems not...

LaurenceBarker
Frequent Visitor

To follow-up on this. I realised the Windows HPE Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331i Adapter NIC had it's Speed/Duplex set to Auto-negotiate. The Aruba switch port the NIC was connected to was fixed at 100/Full. Windows was reporting a connection at 100/Full as expected, however there were a large number of CRC alignment and transaction errors in the Aruba switch event logs.
I set the switch port to Auto-negotiate and the Windows NIC is now reporting connected at 1Gbps and there have been no further CRC aligment and transaction errors logged against the switch port. The connection has remained stable for over 24 hours, so fingers crossed this has fixed the issue. I'll give it a week of successful operation before updating here again.