New Discussion

Proliant DL360p, PCIe cards and NUMA nodes

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stefan Puiu
Advisor

Proliant DL360p, PCIe cards and NUMA nodes

Hi,

We have an app running on an HP DL360p processing lots of network packets. The system has 2 CPUs, each being its own NUMA node, and runs Ubuntu Server 12.04. We've connected one HP 560SFP+ 10G adapter to slot 1; that card gets assigned to NUMA node 0, according to /sys/class/net/eth4/device/numa_node. I guess that's down to how that PCIe slot is connected - probably it's wired to node 0. However, after installing another NIC of the same model in slot 2, I found it was also getting assigned to node 0. Apparently none of the slots are assigned to node 1.

Is this by design? This being down to hardware wiring, I would expect this not to be configurable, right? Or is there a way to map a PCIe adapter to the other NUMA node?

Is this documented in the server specs? At least the datasheet doesn't specify anything about this...

Thanks in advance,

Stefan.

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Proliant DL360p, PCIe cards and NUMA nodes

The single riser card in the DL360p Gen8 is I/O controlled by the first CPU, but in the DL380p Gen8 each riser card is controlled by a different CPU, AFAIR.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Stefan Puiu
Advisor

Re: Proliant DL360p, PCIe cards and NUMA nodes

Torsten,

I think you are indeed right. I looked again at the quickspecs (http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04128242&doctype=quickspecs&doclang=EN_US&searchquery=&cc=us&lc=en) and in the "Expansion slots" section it says: "Activated when installed with processor 1". I guess I was looking for too fancy keywords like NUMA, etc :).

I had tried to reply earlier, but had trouble logging in to the site most of the week...