3711 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant DL380 9th Gen HDD upgrade

MSSCTsysAdmin
Occasional Visitor

Proliant DL380 9th Gen HDD upgrade

Hello All,

I am new to this community. I have a Proliant DL380 9th Gen server with 1 existing drive cage. I would like to add another cage and 8 more HDDs. The server has a HP Smart Array P440ar/2GB FBWC 12 Gb 2-ports int FIO SAS Controller. I am of the opinion I will need to add another Controller and drive cage. However I am not certain what else I will need to add as far as cabling or other hardware. I am hoping to get some pointers and some info to help with further planning here. Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant DL380 9th Gen HDD upgrade

You need to buy the second cage option, 768857-B21 and then you need to buy either a SAS expander card and cables or a second controller and cables. I would never buy a SAS expander card, I would go with another controller.

MSSCTsysAdmin
Occasional Visitor

Ok, thank you. Would you buy a second controller or upgrade the existing from an 8 slot controller to a 16 slot controller?

TTr
Honored Contributor

You can not upgrade the existing one to 16 slots. You use an expander card which is a data switch. It switches the 8 SAS ports of the controller to 16 ports (or as many disks as you connect to it). There will be a i/o latency because ONLY up to 8 disks can be accessed concurrently. If another disk needs to be accessed, that i/o will have to wait until one of the 8 controller ports becomes available.