ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753716 Members
4721 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL380 Boot Issue

AltmanCos

Proliant DL380 Boot Issue

I currently have an Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 24DB installed on this DL380. Attached is a Quantum LTO 3 Tape Drive. When restarting the Server with the Tape Drive attached, I get non system disk boot error. After unplugging the Tape Drive the Server Boots fine, then I have to plug it in and go to Device Manager and refresh to see the tape drive. how can I disable this process, so I can boot normally with the Tape Drive attached?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Ali
HPE Pro

HI Altmancos,

check the boot controller order in system bios, probably your ATA controller is becoming your boot controller preventing the system boot from the other storage controller.

what is the exact server model and storage controller that you have?

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

AltmanCos

Proliant DL380
Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 24DB

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

LTO 3 tape drives are SAS or SCSI, not ATA or SATA. You need the correct controller. What is the LTO 3 tape drive part number?
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Altman,

let me clarify.
Integrated Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers on dl380 server is used for connecting Optical drives like CDROM, ATA/IDE hard drives are not supported on this server.

This server comes with Integrated smart array controller which is Ultra2, Wide-Ultra SCSI controller. for more details check the quickspecs.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10495_div/10495_div.HTML

If you have connected the external tape drive to integrated smart array controller....then you must check the configuration...

Integrated Smart Array Controller has two channels 1/1 one internal and one external.

Channel 1

The default configuration for Channel 1 of ROC is cabled to the server's external SCSI connector found on the rear of the chassis. RAID is not officially supported on Channel 1 (SCSI port 1) for the DL380. Channel 1 is designed to support standard SCSI removable media and storage devices. Channel 1 can also be configured to support internal tape drives when these devices are installed in the server's Removable Media Bays. If tape drives are configured internally from Channel 1, the server's external SCSI connector is not operational and should not be interfaced to any external SCSI devices. If an external SCSI device is connected to the external SCSI port when the internal SCSI port 1 is in use by another SCSI device, the system on POST will give an error code of 1776.

Channel 2

Channel 2 is configured in the default configuration to be interfaced to the server's 4 x 1" internal disk drive cage supporting Wide Ultra2 and Ultra3 SCSI Hot Plug disk drives. Up to a maximum of 6 x 1" drives can configured from ROC. If configured, the optional 2 x 1" Wide Ultra2 SCSI Removable Media Bay Disk Drive Cage must be daisy chained to the 4 x 1" drive cage providing the maximum 6 x 1" drive support. daisychaining needs small seperate cable...

now once your understand the configuration...

Now, I am assuming the cable configuration for internal and external channels are correct or you have seperate scsi controller card connected to the LTO 3 tape drive.

Check the SCSI ID configuration for the tape drive.. it should not be set as ID 0

Check the boot controller order and make sure your channel 2 to which scsi hdds are connected is set to first boot controller in bios if you are using integrated smart array controller.

Hope this helps,

thanks,
Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!

Accept or Kudo

cpradip1069
Advisor

HI AltmanCos

could ypu please post your Tape Drive details

Thanks & Regard,
pradip
AltmanCos

The Tape Drive is a Quantum Ultrium 3. It is connected to the built in ATA controller. I am just not quite sure what configuration to go into on boot up. BIOS? CTRL C, F10. Post flys by too damn fast.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

According to Quantum the LTO3 is

Its simple half-height
form factor and SCSI or SAS interface option allow easy installation and
integration into your datacenter

I have never seen a ATA LTO 3. ATA would not support LTO 3 performance.

Can you post the part number. The on-board ATA is for CD-ROM only. You will need a separate controller card.
AltmanCos

It is SCSI.
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Altman,

Don't get confused!

If you have an external Quantum LTO 3 SCSI tape drive and you see only one external SCSI port rear of server chasis, then the tape drive is getting connected to integrated smart array controller which has external port and support tape drive.

If above statement is true then consider my previous post which has complete info.

Proliant 380 g1 is quite old and does not have normal BIOS(RBSU)

It has System Configuration Utility which is stored in a seperate partition
Press F10 when the cursor jumps to the top right side of the screen to enter the System Configuration Utility (SCU)
Power-On Self-Test (POST), press F10:
Press "F10" key for System Partition Utilities
IMPORTANT: The text appears for only two seconds. If you do not press F10 during this
time, you must reboot the server.

It is installed on the small system partition (approx. 39Mb) on the hard disk. If it has not been installed then you have to boot from a Smartstart CD (5.50 or lower) and use the SCU from there.

check the ProLiant DL380 Setup and Installation Guide
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01127227/c01127227.pdf

You can access integrated smart array controller Bios by pressing F8 during post..

hope this helps,
Aftab

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo