ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752600 Members
4178 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL380 G1 error "Processor in Incorrect Slot"

Peter_495

Proliant DL380 G1 error "Processor in Incorrect Slot"

I have an old Proliant DL380 i'm was given by a coworker. He said he had it on his desk for two days, running great until he installed windows patches, then when he rebooted it gave him the error "Processor in Incorrect Slot - System Halted"

Any ideas as to what could have caused this sudden and unexpected error?
11 REPLIES 11
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Hi Peter,

I can think of 2 possibilities.

If it is single processor, re-seat the CPU and check if the CPU (and VRM) is not in the 2nd processor slot.

If it is dual-CPU, check if the 2nd CPU is the proper one for the Proliant DL380 (i.e. not salvaged from another single-processor DL380). Otherwise, the latest BIOS update will more than likely to stop it from running.

Thanks,

Gus

ps: if this helps, please assign points.
Learning never ends
Peter_495

It is a Dual processor. I have already tried booting with a single processor in the proper slot and tried this with both CPUs, no joy.

I'm told that the CPUs were originally form that server, not salvaged so that souldn't be the problem.

Thanks for the idea. keep em' coming
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Hi Peter,

If they are sure it was all working before the patch while it had 2 CPU installed, try re-patch your BIOS with the older BIOS release.

You can find the old ones here http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/2023.html

However, don't go back too far though! It may kill the machine. The best is find out which version it was before rolling back the BIOS patch.

Thanks,

Gus
Learning never ends
Peter_495

Thanks, i'll try that tonight after work. Also we found a DL380 with two PIII 733mhz and their PPMs. Should I try using these, see if the current PIII 550mhz cpu's i'm using are toast? Would this require a BIOS upgrade for the higher speed processor?
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Hi Peter,

I cannot find anything about the DL380 can take a 550MHz P3 CPU --- I believe that is more for a Proliant 1850r, which takes the 100Mhz bus P3 processors.

The lowest spec of a DL380 I can find is the 733MHz (133MHz).

I would certain try one of the 733MHz CPUs on the troubled DL380...

Thanks,

Gus
Learning never ends
Dave_180
Valued Contributor

I've seen this error before and have tried what I believe to be everything.

Switch Procs - same problem
Single Proc - same problem
Emergency ROM recovery to update Firmware - same problem
Change PPM - same problem
Tested all parts in another server - no errors

Now that I've told you what didn't work...replacing the system board did fix it. The server has been back in production for 2 years now and the problem hasn't come back.

The problem is it isn't under warranty any longer and unless you have a support contract there isn't much you can do.

Of course - you might have better luck than I.
Peter_495

So the lowest processor the DL380 take is a 733, gus? The company have a few 1850r's so it's possible the mobo got put into a DL380 case. Either way it still doesn't work. There is a DL380 in our server room with a different Mobo so i'm gonna try the 733 cpu's in that and give up on this one. Thanks for all the answers though, they were quite helpful.
RGA
Occasional Advisor

Peter,

The optional CPUs for the DL380 G1 are/were:

Pentium III 667-MHz
Pentium III 733-MHz
Pentium III 800-MHz
Pentium III 866-MHz
Pentium III 933-MHz
Pentium III 1-GHz

Here is the link for the Quickspecs on the unit:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10495_na/10495_na.HTML

Regards,
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

If you get the same error with just one processor, then in almost every case will be a problem with the system board.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..