ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753531 Members
5518 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL380 G2 Raid Expansion smart array 5i

Tom Cooper_3

Proliant DL380 G2 Raid Expansion smart array 5i

We are trying to expand the raid on this server the raid currently is 3 compaq 9gig 10k rpm Ultra 2 drives. We are trying to add two more of the same. With the drives inserted into the hot swap bays the ACU recognises the drives but does not give us any options to use the drives other than creating a new raid or adding them as spares to the array. But we need to expand the array. I have already updated the firmware on the 5i controller and installed the updated drivers and updated ACU. Updating has not changed anything. Is there something else I should be updating?
6 REPLIES 6
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Tom:

Assuming this is a RAID5...

Try to force a re-save of the signature on the disk. To do this, go into the ACU and change the rebuild priority to high or the expand priority to high (or low if already). This will cause the ACU to force a save to the signatures.
Reboot and retry the expansion. If you set them to low, go back and set to hight again.
Any luck?

Have you tried using the ACU on your SmartStart CD?
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Tom Cooper_3

That would be is interesting to try however I have stumbled into a new wrinkle.

Poking around the acu I have noticed that we are getting an error 1082.

Researching this I have run into this Advisory

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EX030604_CW02

Apparently because this is an intergated smart array controller I cannot expand the array. The recommended fix however incredibly assasinine is to destroy the raid and recreate it adding the extra space at the time of the new array creation. Should my smart array controller be infoming me that the array that I created on that controller was created on a differient controller and not allowing me to expand? Shouldnt the latest firmware, driver or software update have fixed a problem like this?
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Tom:
Did you migrate this array to the 5i controller?

If no, does your 5i have the BBWCE installed?

If no, I think the solution is to purchase a BBWCE for your 5i and that is supposed to enable the expansion functionality.
Smart Array 5i Plus Controller & BBWC Enabler Bundle - 264030-B21
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Tom Cooper_3

The array was created specificially on this machine with the onboard Smart Array 5i (therefore not a swaped raid card). The array accelerator is enabled so bbwc should not be an issue. Perhaps it is a space issue. Could I need more space in order to expand the array? If so this could be just about the poorest design ever. There are $10 IDE raid cards that would let me expand when I am running out of space without having to destroy my array. I created the array on this server myself. I should be able to expand it.

I am getting ready to call compaq support right now. I have already called them once and they were useless. We have a couple of DL380 g3's we just bought that have the same onboard smart array 5i. I think I may test them for this problem and then maybe we should return them. It may simply be a design defect with the onboard 5i.
Tom Cooper_3

Called and spoke with support. Support was not very helpful. Initially they asked if there was anyone we could borrow another raid controller from. An ok suggestion but not one that solves the problem with the Raid controller we are using. Besides which there is not anyone available to loan on a 1000 dollar raid card on a whim. Then he started to tell us that the onboard 5i controler was not capable of expansion and then quickly retracted that statement after realizing that it wasnt remotely likely. He then started to tell us that the problem was our hard drives and then compaq hard drives in general and then retracted that. All in all the person coaching him must have been pulling their hair out.

But I rarely call support if I want a problem fixed. I call them for ideas. And the server support rep's incessant ramblings about hard drives struck a chord.

Suppose that the 5i requires drives of all the same model and firmware in order to enable expansion. I have already updated all the hdd's firmware and the firmware on the 5i controller.

I think next I will use the raid diagnostic utility to check the drive models and Possibly substitute one of the drives I want to expand onto with any drive that is dis-similar.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The DL380G2 does not come standard with a BBWCE. The BBWC is a small card that sits right next to the right side of the case all the was in the front of the server.

I think John is right in saying that you need to have the BBWC installed to enable the expansion capabilities, but I have never run into this. The Accelerator function should work without the BBWC at least in a limited fashion if not totally. The BBWC is to enable Write Back Cache, which John is saying is needed to do expansion.

Can you confirm that you have a BBWCE installed?

Space would not be an issue.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)