1753795 Members
6938 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL380 G2

Matt_145

Proliant DL380 G2

Hi,
I am trying to use SmartStart 6.20 to rebuild some 380 G2's. But I can't seem to boot from the CD.
I do not have the same trouble if I use SmartStart 5.40

Has anyone got ideas why??
9 REPLIES 9
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Matt,
Please set the Boot Controller Order by hitting F9 during post(When Prompted). Just make sure that it is set to where you want to boot from. Once this is set then there should be no problems.

Regards,
Matt_145

Hi Jerath,

Nice idea, but I have already checked the boot order, CD is set to be first. This is what promted my post.
If I use the SmartStart V5.40 CD, the server will boot from it. If I use the SmartStart V6.20 disk, it will not.

I have just updated the bios too, but it has not solved my problem..
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Matt,
Please do not boot from the CD yet. Just let the server post without any CDs or disks. When prompted hit F9. Check the Boot Controller order and NOT the boot Order. I am sure once it's set right you should be alright.

Cheers,
Matt_145

Jerath, thanks again, but no joy.

Looking at the controller order, there are 4
Smart Array
IDE
Ultra3 SCSI 1
Ultra3 SCSI 2

I can change the order of all, with the exception of the IDE, I canot chage it's order from 2nd.

I am still puzzled by why I can use the old but not the new (SmartSart disk)..
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Matt,
You dont need to change the boot order for the IDE. Just make sure that the Array controller is set to FIRST if you intend to boot from it. Would you mind giving me the S.N of the server in question please??

Thanks!!
Matt_145

Ok, the order i told you is the order they are set at.

S.N. 8223JZG21143..
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Matt,
The only other thing I can think of is the defective Smart Start CD. To verify this you can try loading the CD in another machine to see if this works.If not then you would need to call 1-800-573-1099 for a replacement CD.

Regards,
Matt_145

Sunil, thanks for your efforts, but I know the cd is good, as I rebuilt 5 DL580's on Friday..

Guess I will have to use the older version for now.

Cheers

MattJ
Thomas Friis Poulsen
Occasional Contributor

Hallo, Matt

I had the same problem on a DL380G2. After replacing the CD drive the Smart Start CD runes smoothly.

Good luck

Thomas Friis Poulsen