1751960 Members
4481 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL380 G3 Memory Problems

Gary White_4

Proliant DL380 G3 Memory Problems

Hey all
When I try to boot a dual Xeon box, I get an error message: NMI Parity check, memory parity error, sys has halted
I have tried different memory (which I know works), reseating the memory but still no luck. Has anyone got any ideas? Also tried the usual bios update.
5 REPLIES 5
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Well sems to be memory problem Use the HP Online Daignostics tool from HP website to scan memory under continious loops.
Check for memory part number :
34 256-MB PC2100 Registered DDR SDRAM 300699-001
35 512-MB PC2100 Registered DDR SDRAM 300700-001
36 1-GB PC2100 Registered DDR SDRAM 300701-001
2-GB PC2100 Registered DDR SDRAM 300702-001

Regards,
Prashant S
Nothing is impossible
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Gary,

First of all, memory error does not necessarily mean errors on the physical DIMMs only, there is memory on the motherboard too (!!).

Last time, I ran into a similar scenario on a Proliant DL580 G2 with the same memory/parity error (hardware malfunction) HP had to replace the motherboard to fix the problem. Hows this for a thought?

As Prashant indicated the server diagnostics (INSPECT) utility, you could try that but I would be seriously considering a motherboard replacement test with the same memory modules as a troubleshooting step.

Hope it was of help and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,
Gary White_4

Guys
I have awarded the points thus:
2 points for taking the time and effort to answer

5 points for closest answer to solving problem

Will award remaining points if it resolves issue

Thanks again for helping!
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

NMI Parity check is not necessarily a problem the main memory. The most common source besides the RAM is the processor cache or one of the PCI cards. IF this error is persistent, the process or elimination is best way to troubleshoot. Gary, you stated that you have dual processors; try running the server with a single processor at a time; if you have more that one bank or memory, try running it on a single bank and then swap DIMMs in that bank if needed. Remove any PCI cards that may not be required. You could also run multiple loops of the diagnostics from SmartStart to see if that thing picks up anything.
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Robin_37
Trusted Contributor

Hi Gary

We had the same problem, we tried replaceing all the components (Processor, memory, Raid controller etc.) but no luck, But the problem solved after replaceing the Motherboard.

Regards

Robin