ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753481 Members
3802 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant DL380 G3 Raid 5

Matthew Metzger

Proliant DL380 G3 Raid 5

I am about to set-up new server with three 36.4GB drives using smart array 5i plus controller and RAID 5. Will I be able to add hard drives later with Compaq's array configuration utility without losing data or having to reinstall any software?
3 REPLIES 3
andy steven
Valued Contributor

Re: Proliant DL380 G3 Raid 5

It depends how u make the partitions, if it is one partition then know it is not supported.

the best way to do it is have the OS say on a 10 GB partition and then use the rest as a data partition. make the data partition dynamic in windows disk management when it is FIRST created. when you do this u can add disks later and windows will add them to the dynamic partition if you wish, i have done many times and works a treat all data is preseved.

the expansion on the raid controller of a logical drive is not supported by HP, it gives an error if u try it.
Sigi J
Valued Contributor

hey stop, that's not correct.

for example, you can add more disks later, than expand your existing raid5 over all disks and use the additional space for a new partition, which is spread over all disks.

No data will be lost.

In my opinion you better do not work with Windows dynamic disks as long as you do not really need to do so.

But, another idea: RAID5 with only three disks is not well performing. So, if possible, install the OS on a mirror set, and use three or more disks for the data partitions.
Jorge Pons
Trusted Contributor

Hi

Yes, you can expand array without problems. You need ACU utility to do.
like Sigi says, usually operating system is in mirror and data in raid 5.