1752661 Members
5991 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant DL380 G3 Server - Connectivity Issues

David Draper
Occasional Advisor

Proliant DL380 G3 Server - Connectivity Issues

I have 4 DL380 servers and am having problems with 2 of them losing connectivity over the LAN (can't ping and mapped drives timeout). I have tried everything I know from changing MAC addresses, teaming on/off, manually setting speed and duplex, change IP address, patch cables, different LAN sockets, reinstalling the operating system (tried W2K and W2K3 server software from scratch) etc. I have go all new patches, updates and firmware installed.
All tests say the NIC's are OK you can log on to the server locally and there are no problems displayed in any logs. I have had the core switch checked, tested and updated by a 3COM network engineer who cannot find any problems with the switch or server settings.
Has anyone any other ideas.
4 REPLIES 4
Akos Hegedus
Valued Contributor

Re: Proliant DL380 G3 Server - Connectivity Issues

Certain HP ProLiant Servers, identified in the "Products Affected" section, configured with an embedded NC7781 PCI-X Gigabit Server Adapter may exhibit degraded network performance or all network traffic to the server may stop.

PRODUCTS AFFECTED
This issue may affect any of the following ProLiant servers having Serial Number x322xxxxxxxx or lower and configured with an embedded NC7781 PCI-X gigabit server adapter:

ProLiant BL20p Generation 2 (G2) Server Blade
ProLiant DL360 Generation 3 (G3) Server
ProLiant DL380 Generation 3 (G3) Server
ProLiant DL380 Generation 3 (G3) Packaged Cluster
ProLiant DL560 Server
ProLiant ML370 Generation 3 (G3) Server

---------------------------
To resolve this issue, the system board, peripheral board, or NC7781 Gigabit NIC must be replaced.

regards,
Akos
David Draper
Occasional Advisor

Server matches serial number range, HP support have found the advisory notice and are sending an engineer to change motherboard next week.

Will let you know if that cures the problem.
Neil Purnell

How did you go with the system board replacement, I have 4 Dl380 G3's that have numerous connection issues that I have not been able to pin down.
David Draper
Occasional Advisor

HP engineer came and replaced the system board, but I still got the same problem.
I have disabled both on-board NIC's, removed drivers/teaming software and installed a 3COM gigabit server card 3C996B as someone said that they cured their problem this way - but still have the same problem.

Has anyone else any ideas?