1753856 Members
7390 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant DL380 G3

Eric Hoyt
Occasional Advisor

Proliant DL380 G3

Ok, this server we have keeps freezing for no reason without a trace. It started a while back and I thought I fixed it but it did it again last night. It just simply halts. I was actually in a remote desktop session on that server then it was gone and I had to physically restart the machine. I notice when it is in this state, the activity light on all 6 hard drives is lit fully sorts flickering a little so I ran the smart start CD and ran full tests on all the drives and the controller itself and they all passed. IтАЩm clueless.

Any ideas?
13 REPLIES 13
Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Proliant DL380 G3

Could be a number of things - driver/firmware/support tools/application problem. What's the operating system and the role of the server?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Check the IML

If you are lucky, and it is a hardware failure, it might be logged in the IML.

If there's nothing in the IML, then it is a tough one.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Pavel_28
Occasional Advisor

Try reseating processors.
Sheanshar
Advisor

Did you perform any recent changes? Hardware or software?

OS type?
It would be great if you could check the System Event log.

Processor, memory, storage controller, bbwc, etc .... Several things that can cause a server to freeze.

Check the firmware and drivers version and let me know.

Eric Hoyt
Occasional Advisor

actually i set the proliant smart start disc to run tests on memory and all the hard drives 15 times over and it passed with 100% but when i was looking at these results, i looked over at the machine and noticed the lights on the hdd's on and flickering like how it looks when the system is frozen so quickly i set the tests to run one more time while it was like this and it somehow stopped, the lights went to notmal by the time i had come back to see the results and it once again passed with 100%
Eric Hoyt
Occasional Advisor

Well, it is now doing this every 10 hours or so, I still think its a hard drive problem but the tests prove it not to be, the drives are set up in RAID 5, so what is the best way to backup the data on the drives and re create the array without certain drives? and is it possible this is a controller problem?
Sheanshar
Advisor

Can you attach an ADU report?

I need to check out some details on the storage subsystem ....
Eric Hoyt
Occasional Advisor

where would i get that? thats a new one for me.
Sheanshar
Advisor