ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753295 Members
6461 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL380 G4 No Video After OS Boot Server 2008 x64

JeremyWalker

Proliant DL380 G4 No Video After OS Boot Server 2008 x64

As the subject states, I get no video after the OS Boot screen, I get a flash of the screen with the mouse cursor for 1 second then it goes black and thats it. The "lock" keys on the keyboard arent froze so I dont think the server is froze...

I am trying to install Server 2008 x64 by the way.

Any help is welcomed!
6 REPLIES 6
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey, is it supported?

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/us/en/servers/ws-server-2008-archive.html

In the quickspecs 2008 is not listed as supported either.

However, for your issue:

maybe you can see the screen with iLO?
What about safe-mode?
Does it work for a supported OS?
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi jeremy,

what is the storage controller that you have on this server?

how exactly you are installing the OS? Are you providing storage controller driver during installation

as mentioned in the previous post.. check windows advance option and try safe mode.
and login to ILO to see you get any message there.

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

JeremyWalker

Thanks for the reply guys,

I was trying to install 2k8 with the Windows disk itself.

Today I tried the HP SmartStart 8.40 guided setup for my version of 2008 x64 and it worked like a charm, Everythings working as it should (I Hope, this is my first DL380 G4 so I dont know what it should do exactly)

I've done nothing with the iLO because Ill be honest I have no idea how to use it.

The only question I have left is about the fans. If I take a fan out it goes into screamer mode, when I put it back in it lowers down. Is this the 2 levels the fans operate at? (Screaming if fan error or heat issue & the lower speed when all fans are plugged in)

I'm still somewhat new to HP servers and the noise level is something I will have to adjust to I guess. I'm just used to my Poweredge 2600 being so quiet...
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Jeremy,

Dl380 g4 has health management driver integrated with system bios which takes care of overall system health including Fan speed on POST.

ILO/system management driver does the same Job at OS level.

So, if this is happening due to old system bios or olc health management driver, can be easily identified.

DL380 G4 has 3 cooling zones

Power Supply Zone
Processor Zone
I/O Zone

each zone has one redundant fan. if system is populated with the required fans, then noise level should be normal.

Small observation : if u take out one of the redundant fans (redundant fans 1,3,8), does fan noise level increases at post and slow down in OS or remains constant?

1. update system bios
2. system management / ILO driver
3. reseat/swap all the fans to make sure they are connected properly
4. Open system management home page and check system health.

thanks
Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Murali_V
HPE Pro

Hi,

Visit the following HP ProLiant DL380 G4 Server series Download drivers and software page and update server Firmware using the "Smart Update Firmware DVD" and also the " ProLiant Support Pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 x64 Editions" :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3288132&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397634&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4024

Also, ensure that all the hard drive slots are filled with hard drives or with the hard drive blanks also the second power supply or blank installed and the server panel is closed when you are observing the fan noise.

Was this post useful?

Accept or Kudo

JeremyWalker

Hey thanks for the reply guys,

Sorry I didnt reply for a bit, I've been extremely busy and on overload the past 2 days. I will try the suggested things mentioned by all of you and reply with the details.

Thanks again!