1752822 Members
4510 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant DL380 G5 Graphics Card Installation

danny27
Occasional Visitor

Proliant DL380 G5 Graphics Card Installation

Can I install a pci express graphics card in my dl380 g5 and if so douse and if so is there a specific card that needs to be used

thanks Dan

2 REPLIES 2
Marko71
Frequent Advisor

Hi Dan,

Yes you can fit graphics cards to your DL380G5, couple of caveats though:

1: as most cards a 16x pcie cards you will have to check to see if your riser assembly has the 16x slot as the standard riser has 3 8x slots.

2: make sure you purchase one that doesnt need the pcie auxilliary 6 pin power connectors as the DL380G5 does not support these.  You cna jury rig an external psu to do this for you as I did with my DL585G2 but its an inelegant solution.

3: try to avoid doublewide cards as they can be more than two slots wide thus encroach on slot space or even jsut not fit at all.

So you should be fine with most lower end cards as they are normally single slot and require no more power than the slot can provide on its own.  Medium range cards should be ok but watch out for their need for extra power.

The Geforce GT640 GDDR5 would be an ok card to go for it's low powered, single slot & can still do casual gaming (if this is what you are looking for).

!st things 1st thoguh check out and make sure you have a 16x slot in your machine otherwise your going to have to get a new riser 1st.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark

dasein42

@Marko71 wrote:

Hi Dan,

<snipped for brevity>

The Geforce GT640 GDDR5 would be an ok card to go for it's low powered, single slot & can still do casual gaming (if this is what you are looking for).

I was looking for a card for an Ultrasparc T5120 and happened to notice the Sun XVR-300 was actually a rebranded ATi Fire MV 2400 card.  Since I got a good deal on a lot of 4 cards on ebay, I put two of them into a couple of DL380 G5's the company gave me.  They're not the best cards ATI ever made, but not the worst either, and support high resolution with dual monitors.  I don't do much gaming but I do 3D engineering work using Unigraphics and ProductBase and they work pretty well for that.  The fourth card went into a beast of an old Sun x86 server (x4240) with dual 6 core Opterons, it works well also but it is running Solaris x86.  The DL380's are running Linux Mint 17 with Win 10 in VirtualBox.