New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL380 Getting Started

SOLVED
Go to solution
daveb2
Occasional Contributor

Proliant DL380 Getting Started

Hello,

My son wanted to build a web server, so he bought a Proliant DL380 from craigslist. The server boots fine, has 1 Gb RAM, the Integrated Smart Array Controller and 6 physical 9 Gb hard drives mapped to 3 logical drives of about 18 Gb each.

I'm new to Compaq servers. I've only worked with Sun and high-end Wintel workstations

I'm not having a lot of luck accessing the system bios. I want to set the system clock.

There is a prompt, F10, but when I hit the key, I get an error message, "System Partition not present". I assume someone deleted it.

I looked for an image to restore the system partition, but didn't find one on the HP site.

Also, I'd like to change the disk array configuration. I'm used to having a disk array BIOS utility, but I don't see one on this server.

It looks like all disk array configuration utilities run under an operating system.

I'm a little stuck, since I want to change the disk array configuration before I put an OS on the disks.

Can some one point me to some general information, or tell me more abou how Compaq Proliants work in general?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

See my recent reply to another similar issue for the utilities you need. Your system wasn't built with Smartstart, hence no system partition but it's not a big deal as you can access the BIOS via other tools.

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1212236

You can use the Smartstart CD (V5.50 for G1 systems) to ERASE the current disk configuration (ERASE UTILITY) and then reconfigure it (ARRAY CONFIGURATION UTILITY or ACU). The ERASE utility wipes everything so back up anything you want to keep.

Be aware that the CMOS battery may be duff on the system board in which case it may need to be replaced.

You can get the DL380 G1 "Maintenance and Service Guide" and other documentation from here.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=uk&docIndexId=64903&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254889

Any required O/S drivers can be found here.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=342841тМй=en&cc=uk&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254889&taskId=135

I hope this helps.

Brian

daveb2
Occasional Contributor

Brian,

Thanks!

I really appreciate the pointers!

I'm downloading the Smart Start ISO now. Looking forward to getting that server configured right.

Thanks again!

Dave
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

You're welcome Dave -Glad to have been of help.

The DL380 servers, G1-G5 are the most popular models of Proliants out there, so there are lots of people with experience of using, configuring and fixing them.

If you require any further assistance just ask and someone should be able to help.

Regards,

Brian
Heironimus
Honored Contributor

A good rule of thumb is that a PC server isn't much different from a high-end PC workstation, which frequently isn't really all that different from a commodity desktop. The server just comes in a funny case and doesn't have a fancy video card.

That weirdness with the BIOS and RAID setup doesn't come from being a server-class machine, it comes from being a Compaq. Compaq tried a lot of unusual things over the years, including this "system partition" silliness. In most respects you'll probably find it to be a relatively normal high-end (for its time) PC.
daveb2
Occasional Contributor

Now that I'm getting used to the strange Compaq nomenclature, I'm really liking the server.

The Array Configuration is really nice, and having the system partition in place is really sweet!

I even got the system clock set!

Thanks for all the help!

Dave