Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant DL380, LiveState and VM GSX issue

Chris Scuzzi Dixon
Occasional Visitor

Proliant DL380, LiveState and VM GSX issue

I am using GSX V3.2.1.
I am obtaining images of production servers using Symantec LiveState Recovery V3. I create an s2vi file, which is then used to create a VM GSX machine via the VM Importer.
I have successfully imaged 4 servers, which are 1U HP DL320s. They have hardware RAID, but basic disks in the O/S. They are Windows Server 2003 with SP1. Two are domain controllers, and I have been able to get a true snapshot of Active Directory. No problems at all.
My problems started when I progressed to 2 other servers. They are 2U HP DL380s. They also are hardware RAID, with basic disks in the O/S. They are simple file and print servers. In both cases, the LiveState image was produced without incident, and the VM image generated from that without any reported errors. When I start the VM machine, however, it is almost unusable. There is no CD, no Ethernet, and a host of unknown devices shown in device manager.
Are there tricks or workarounds I need to know about? Anything special to consider when I am imaging servers of this type?

REALLY need some help here. This will be our DR solution, and up till this happened, it was well on track.